V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GimpGlider
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my 1K service this weekend, Used Mobil1 Vtwin, Gear oil, and B&M ATF (had some extra qts to use). Havent ridden it enough to comment on the heat, but the difference in shifting is nothing short of amazing! The "clunk" never really bothered me (my sporty was the same, figured it was an HD thing), but now? "click"! It was noticeable enough that my wife, on her own bike, said she noticed the lack of shifter noise.

Thank to all those who recommended it :thumbsup: :thanks:

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Synthetic is not the cheapest oil to put in up front, but I believe in the long run it is the best for your bike. In short, it is the cheapest mechanic's work you'll ever do for your bike.

Welcome to the double-secret synthetic oil society. After you've been here a while we'll show you the handshake.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
ike1518 said:
Synthetic is not the cheapest oil to put in up front, but I believe in the long run it is the best for your bike. In short, it is the cheapest mechanic's work you'll ever do for your bike.

Welcome to the double-secret synthetic oil society. After you've been here a while we'll show you the handshake.
There's a secret handshake????????????:hystria: :hystria: :hystria:

·
Registered
59 Posts
The benefits of synthetic oil are many and those benefits are best exhibited in engines with higher miles.

The problem you face with changing to synthetic in a farely new engine is that your internal mechanical components to that engine do not get the oportunity to break-in properly. The mechanical properties of synthetic oil allow this type of oil to do just that....minimize wear and break down, and these properties impede the proper break-in process. I would never recommend changing to synthetic until atleast 5,000 miles. At 5,000 miles your engine should be properly broken in (assuming the engine has not been abused) and you've allowed enough time for all component to wear in cunjunction and in-sink with each other.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
At a thousand miles your rings are broken in. If they are not you have other problems. You done good. Why would you wait for more wear to happen?

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Jaybo said:
The benefits of synthetic oil are many and those benefits are best exhibited in engines with higher miles.

The problem you face with changing to synthetic in a farely new engine is that your internal mechanical components to that engine do not get the oportunity to break-in properly. The mechanical properties of synthetic oil allow this type of oil to do just that....minimize wear and break down, and these properties impede the proper break-in process. I would never recommend changing to synthetic until atleast 5,000 miles. At 5,000 miles your engine should be properly broken in (assuming the engine has not been abused) and you've allowed enough time for all component to wear in cunjunction and in-sink with each other.
Is it true that new bikes are coming from the MoCo with Syn3 in all 3 holes? If so it kinda goes aginst the wear-in theory. I have always believed in proper break in before going to syn. Is it a myth?

·
Registered
314 Posts
steveusmc said:
Is it true that new bikes are coming from the MoCo with Syn3 in all 3 holes? If so it kinda goes aginst the wear-in theory. I have always believed in proper break in before going to syn. Is it a myth?
I believe the Screamin Eagle bikes come with Syn3 from the factory.

·
Registered
772 Posts
steveusmc

steveusmc said:

sniff, sniff, that sounds like another can of worms debate.:beatdh: :beatdh: :beatdh:

Here is my take for what its worth. It probabily is a myth! I use to think it wasn't, but on my last build, I switched immediately to syn after about 25 miles and have been using it ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts