V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with an old school buddy of mine about installing a suicide clutch and he said that they can be set up with a hand & foot clutch for easy starts? I have a 84 1/2 softail EVO with a 4-speed ratchet top trans so I know it's easy to install the suicide foot clutch but was interested in knowing if anyone knew anything about having the hand clutch as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Trashy

A Ratchet-Top on an '84..???
I was under the impression that from late 1979 on HD went to the "cow-pie" trans top..
Perhaps you have a "customized/modified" sickle.??????

I run two Mousetraps and ratchet-tops next to my 120" Evo & my 93" shovel and I'm Very familiar with everything about them but I have never seen a Mousetrap or Mousetrap cable married to a Foot-clutch, suicide or not..
Hmmm, perhaps your bud has in mind a newer style hand clutch cable somehow fastened to a Foot unit,, I'm interested in hearing more about that..

Anyway---
I believe that maybe your first prob will be the Starter/solenoid tower on top of the Aluminum primaries.. It will prevent you from running the correct longer Clutch Release Lever that normally extends over the Inner & Outer tin Primaries..
There is a slightly shorter lever, and I use one, but I cannot tell you what year group it was used on..

I build Kick-only rigids so I simply cut the starter/solenoid tower off the top of the Alum Primaries and I can use the correct Clutch Release lever..
I'll send a photo if ya wish--- [email protected]

If you're running a push-button that may be your first prob, but if Not,, heck cut off that primary top and you be in Tall Cotton until the next prob emerges..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will let you know what we come up with. I didn't understand how it would work but he tells me that it's been done. I may just skip the head beating and go the traditional route. Have you ever used a rocker foot clutch?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a rocker clutch on my shovel. Works great. All the parts were used a few times on several bikes before I got them. I think they are all reproduction, perhaps from V-Twin. If I could remember how to post a picture I would

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a rocker clutch on my shovel. Works great. All the parts were used a few times on several bikes before I got them. I think they are all reproduction, perhaps from V-Twin. If I could remember how to post a picture I would
If you could send me pics via e-mail that would be awesome. I have never seen one in person so a visual would be great. It seams a little easier that the traditional foot clutch.

[email protected]

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you could send me pics via e-mail that would be awesome. I have never seen one in person so a visual would be great. It seams a little easier that the traditional foot clutch.

[email protected]

Thanks a lot
IMHO The rocker clutch should be considered the traditional foot clutch as, as it is the only type of foot clutch operation ever offered by H-D. I suggest you look at some Harley factory manuals, or parts books. I am having problems with pics. Maybe this link will help.
http://www.vtwincatalog.com/dl/index.php?page=Catalog&dl_bc=Classic+1915-83.CLUTCH.Rocker

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I was talking with my buddy last night trying to get a better idea of what he was talking about and he said that he ran a dog chain from the foot clutch to the shift linkage. This way he could use the hand clutch for starts and the foot clutch while tooling down the road. Ugh now that's some old school stuff there, not sure if it sounds too safe but will give it a whirl..

Have a great Turkey day all!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just found it. I want to do the same thing to my 1995 Heritage. For the last three years I have been running a foot clutch with a tank shift. The rocker clutch came from V-Twin Mfg and needed some work this spring. When I put it back on I am going to have the hand clutch on it as well. Here is a video of a guy who has both foot and hand clutch on his bike. My set up is going to be similar to his, only with the rocker clutch, minus its spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just found it. I want to do the same thing to my 1995 Heritage. For the last three years I have been running a foot clutch with a tank shift. The rocker clutch came from V-Twin Mfg and needed some work this spring. When I put it back on I am going to have the hand clutch on it as well. Here is a video of a guy who has both foot and hand clutch on his bike. My set up is going to be similar to his, only with the rocker clutch, minus its spring. Knucklehead hand or foot actuated clutch for hand shift. - YouTube
Hi, did you ever get the setup finished? I'm trying to do something similar on my bike & my shop is having a hard time with how to set-up the cables.
any help or advice would be appreciated.
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts