V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
By a wide margin the song most played in history on FM radio. With good reason.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,528 Posts
Sorry Joe.
I thought it was interesting that he used vinyl instead of digital media to play the music.

Dave
It's ok. Thank God my wife knows how to use our emergency defibrillator.

I rewatched 'Ray' the other day. They were all excited over getting a new-fangled technology that allowed them to overdub and record each instrument alone, for later mixing.

The new-fangled technology was called 8-Track Tape. ;)

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,528 Posts
why? vinyl is king. I was surprised they didn't use a nicer turntable.
I think it's way over-rated. The sweet analog warmth can be duplicated now, without the pops, clicks, and short play times.

Too many labels are trying to tune the analog out, even of the old stuff.
--------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna try rewording this...

I love the analog sound. I really love old albums where the band's together and playing together as the recorder runs. The natural air around the instruments can be heard.

That can be preserved digitally, but it doesn't happen near often enough. New music or old, too many CDs are 'Hot'.

joe

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
it usually comes down to how well the master tapes were recorded. If it wasn't mastered well all formats will playback crap. You need a high end system to truly appreciate the difference.

My mancave

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I think it's way over-rated. The sweet analog warmth can be duplicated now, without the pops, clicks, and short play times.

Too many labels are trying to tune the analog out, even of the old stuff.
--------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna try rewording this...

I love the analog sound. I really love old albums where the band's together and playing together as the recorder runs. The natural air around the instruments can be heard.

That can be preserved digitally, but it doesn't happen near often enough. New music or old, too many CDs are 'Hot'.

joe
When you're half deaf, it's all a moot point.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,528 Posts
it usually comes down to how well the master tapes were recorded. If it wasn't mastered well all formats will playback crap. You need a high end system to truly appreciate the difference.
Even good masters are often victimized, mostly in popular music- everything's hot and dynamic range is destroyed. Remastering is not always a good thing.

My core gear is Rotel and Paradigm. They're far from the most expensive available but they're plenty capable of rendering the subtleties. As Alan said, they're probably more capable of rendering them, at this point, than I am of discerning them.

I have no directional, oxygen-free copper or custom power cords. I do still have 300 albums, a Sansui receiver from '76, and a Pioneer Dolby 8-track recorder from '74 (or so); and nearly 1500 CDs (including some SACDs and DVD-As).

With all the heat my shelf generates I can imagine what all your tubes do. ;)

joe

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
That was a great link, and very nostalgic watching that record playing.

I still have a decent turntable set up ready to play.

I haven't played a record in years. The last ones I played were either scratchy enough that I got the CD or perhaps the music wasn't that good...

rkc

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I mostly still listen to vinyl. That's where most of my music is, purchased when current, when music was good, pre-1970. I don't have high end equipment, mostly 30+ years old; Kenwood receiver, AR turntable and AR2a speakers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts