V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jiffy stand on my 99 electra glide classic doesn't lock in when I put it down and all the way forward. In fact, if I leave the bike in nuetral, it will roll forward about 6 inches with the extended part of the jiffy stand moving from 9 o'clock position to 8 o'clock position. It will finally stop but it looks like the jiffy stand is mighty close to giving away and coming all the way back toward the up position. All the bolts are tight and I torqued them all. Is this from wear and age and does it need replacing? Or is this another weird normality.
I didn't see a proper category for a jiffy stand so if this needs moving, so be it.
thanks for your comments

·
Sua Sponte
442 Posts
It's normal. The pin fits in a groove and as long as the bolts are tight it won't fall. But is nerve racking.

·
Mojo Rider
15 Posts
My '99 does the same thing. The bike will roll forward a good 4 inches until the tab hits the stop. Made a few unwarranted diving catches at the gas pump until I figured it out.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
A Harley will "roll" on the kickstand until it stops moving since it locks in place when the weight of the bike is on it. I've seen them go a few feet or more and stay upright.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Take some "shim stock", cut the length of the kickstand bracket. Wrap it around the shaft of the kickstand shaft where it goes in the bracket. put some grease on it and bolt the tab back on the top. It will take the slop out of the shaft to bracket, therefore reducing what you have happening. I did this several years ago and no longer have that problem. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts