V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont see this Often, but thought I would share, sometimes the clevis will come from factory in backwards, and the domed part of the clevis pin can and will hit the lower engine case bolt making a horrible vibration issue in the chassis..

If you take it out and reverse it with the dome and cotter pin to rear of MC it will correct the vibration issue. I had an engine out this week and happen to look down and see it, so I took some pics.

Here it is corrected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
So I take it the pics show the correct way?

Sent from here to there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I take it the pics show the correct way?

Sent from here to there.

This pic is backwards

The dome is facing forward.

The picture below is correct

This picture shows how little clearance between the clevis pin and engine case bolt is...

In the picture below the dome is now facing to the rear buts shows how far it sticks out, if it was facing forward it can and often does hammer away on the engine case bolt when the engine mounts start to soften up, and causes a pretty harsh vibration.

If it has been hitting the case bolt, you will see a visual mark or rounding of the flat on the bolt.

This was a dyna sport 110 only 10k before the rear exhaust tapped failed, mushrooms and galled the tappet boar. Its a common problem, and actually an oil control issue caused by miss machine cases ive seen at least 4-5 of these now, and its actually a joke with tech service, when I call in they say, let me guess, rear tappet failure..

The part book shows the correct orientation.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent Thread to Post .. Dyna Kickstands are a PITA to begin with even done right ..

The real pain in the ass to correct it, if the motor is still in the frame, you cannot get the clevis pin in with out supporting the motor and taking the front mount loose. It will come out no problem but won't clear the bolt it will be hitting if it has been and reason for correction

1 - 5 of 5 Posts