V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rejetted the stock CV carb. Chose the dynojet kit.
Stock main jet is 190.
Installed dynojet's needle, installed main jet 180 per dynojet's instructions 2002 FLHT (Have SE air breather kit, and touring mufflers)
Now, here I am thinking, ...why am I putting in a smaller jet, shouldn't it be the other way around....then I figured, that needle must have a narrower taper than the stock one. So far so good, but what about WOT. Been there, and with the stock carb setup, the bike seems to lack topend horsepower....too rich?...thus dropping 2 sizes on the main jet would seem to make sense.....maybe. On the other hand if this setup is too lean it could be trouble!
Haven't had the scoot out yet. And probably won't for a bit, till monsoon weather is over! So, I'm theorising!

Any more theories?

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
I don't think it's bad. Why? because I did my carb this summer. I originally went UP with the MJ to 195. Lots of backfire and decel popping. I spoke to some folks and reduced that to a 185. I still have some popping from high rpm to closed throttle. I see soot on my pipes so I believe that I'm still a tad too rich. I haven't done anymore tinkering because I thought 'better too rich than too lean'. I've been thinking about going to the 180, but I'm more leaning toward the Yost Power Tube and then putting it up on a Dyno to make it perfect. I want to do the 95" kit and flow the heads but......... you know how that works ........:rolleyes: The OL has other ideas....:D

·
Banned
999 Posts
main jet only affects w.o.t.

have to ride it or run on dyno to find out what effects change made..

theory is just that,, theory!.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Flyer:

The difference is in the emulsion tube that the main jet screws into and maybe the main jet itself. As Sidekick says, ride it and see how it feels or put it on a dyno to check. My experience with the Dynojet kits has been that their recommendations are pretty close if you live at or near sea level. As the altitude increases though, the kits tend to run rich.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I must agree with Ed Y, for me using the DynoJet kit smothed out some of the stumbling and flat spots but at the expense of heavy gas usage. When I double checked the dealer's work I was sure I'd find some part of the installation done wrong. Such was not the case, so pulled the DynoJet stuff and put back the stock main, shimmed the needle and changed to the 48 slow jet, then tightened the mixture a turn. So far, that has made an overall improvement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts