V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There may be already a thread on this..my apologies if so.
I currently have a tbr exhaust and an Arlen ness stage 1 air filter in my bike. The bike idles fine but once I pull off it backfires BAD and while spit out of the carb so often. I’m assuming I need to rejet it to accommodate. I’m looking for jet sizes, if I need to shim the needle etc. located right at sea level

currently has a 180 main
Slow is 48
2005 superglide

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
many blogs on this to remedy...look em up...close but cv still need some more tricks to add...and intake leaks?

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,387 Posts
A little information may be helpful.

Has it been sitting? Old gas? Condition of carb? Ignition system?

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
With AF off blip the throttle and see if the slide goes up, yes OK no replace the diaphragm. With motor off look for a pump shot in the carbs airhorn when you do the same throttle blip, gas shot should be visible. Running hot at idle outside from the AF side spray the intake flanges with WD40 and see if the idle drops, yes intake seals bad, no OK. Check that first and I am assuming, as Gman alluded to that the carb has been cleaned and the gas is fresh.

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
320 Posts
If you determine you need parts for your CV carb, this is a good place to get what you need.

Check for intake leaks first. Buy one of their premium cv tuners kits and put that in after cleaning your carb thoroughly. Fix intake leaks if you have any. I have installed a dozen of them with all types of pipes and cams and all of them ran well afterwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cleaned the carb last night pretty good, put the a/f screw back to two turns out and started it up and rode it to the gas station today, I started up alright with choke, took a bit to get warm enough to stay running. I’d give it a little gas in neutral and it started to backfire real back from the pipes, turned my a/f screw out 4 turns and it no backfiring, coughing from the air filter for first few minutes between idle and 1/4 throttle. Any throttle after that it rode great though. Have fresh gas and cleaned carb. Should I jump up a size on the slow jet? Four turns out is way too much.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
you can go down to 46 u say you got a 48...did u shim the needle about 60 tho? no intake leaks?...u sure?...i have ran a 48 and 180-185 .060 thou shim forever and this is about as close as i can get to a perfect runner...45 is just too small a bit...u might need to re do your carb setup matrix a bunch of times to dial it in...unless you are well versed with the cv it should take just a few times

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Yost and dynojet kits, solve the great majority of cv carb issues,,, or,z you fan chase down all the hd oem parts that are supposed to do the same thing,, they are less expensive than the kits,, but you may have the carb apart every day, changing parts,,, depends on how much time you want to spend work8jgbon,, not fixing the carb..

Your symptoms sound like fouled or glazed spark plugs, possibly a plug wire shorting to ground...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can go down to 46 u say you got a 48...did u shim the needle about 60 tho? no intake leaks?...u sure?...i have ran a 48 and 180-185 .060 thou shim forever and this is about as close as i can get to a perfect runner...45 is just too small a bit...u might need to re do your carb setup matrix a bunch of times to dial it in...unless you are well versed with the cv it should take just a few times
I haven’t checked the needle for shims just yet. I haven’t done anything to the carb myself yet mechanical wise. The bike is fairly new to me as this will be my second riding season.

positive on no intake leaks though.A/F is currently as 3 turns and it runs alright. Just seems like it need to be more so fine tuned at this point. Going to get a new set of plugs Tuesday and see what they’re showing me.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
How can you "cleaned the carb pretty good" and not know if the needle has shims or not? Did you just clean the outside?

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
What concerns me is the jetting is on the high side and you are exhibiting signs of lean. I would find the mechanical problem and fix it then think about jetting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts