V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and read all sorts of posts re: MPG and jetting and still looking for help.

I have an 06 FLHR standard. It has screaming eagle slip ons and a dyno jet kit (both installed when bike was new). I have had intake popping (occasional, rev at the light), decel popping (pretty bad, especially when going down hill and not acellerating) and fuel economy issues since new. Recently the dealer said I had lots of carbon built up in pipes and on plugs so they went from a 48 to a 50. I seem to have a bit more power but all the same other issues. Also, I get between 28mpg (city) and 32 mpg (hway), which seems absurd. I always use 93 and run synthetic oil. No other performance mods to this bike, 7500 miles. Anyone have a clue what to do? Should I just pay another shop to do it as the dealer cant get it right under warranty?

I appreciate any insight.

Jon

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Don't feel bad, I have a 2000 rk, 95", 26 cam, with a mik 42, my mileage is just a bit higher, 50 accel, 25 pilot. I tried a 20 pilot and the bike popped like crazy so I went back to the 25, needle is stock, don't remember which one. I did reseat the enricher knob in the carb and noticed higher mileage, may be something you want to check, I do run the bike between 70-80 on the highway and with the GF and a full load I get around 35 down from stock 40 something. Have it put on a dyno and check afr, that should help direct you to a solution

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Doesn't make sence to me. Dealer said you had carbon build up...Right??So they went up on the jet? I would go back to the 45 slow jet or even a 46 slow jet(can get from drag spec). What notch is your clip on the needle and which main do you have?

Also, did you check for intake and exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a 06 with SEII slipons off a 99, Stage I AC. Running stock needle and a 48 slow jet, down from a 50. Tried a 46 slow jet when I first put on the slip ons, still a little lean pop I could not get out of it with the mixture nearly 4 turns out. Went to a 50 on an independents recommendation and with mixture 3 turns out got 40-45 on a road trip and no more lean pop. The 50 was a little rich though, so I went back to a 48. I have a friend that did all of the above on a dyna and wound up going back to a stock 45. Point is, this is not exact science and will take some experimenting. I would recommend taking it to someone with a dyno and having them run and tune it unless you are doing the work yourself. They will be able to get things setup in as near perfect as possible.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

thanks for all the feedback. I am going to bring it to a local shop to see if they can do better than the dealer.

Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts