V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about Jet Hot or other processes to "treat" pipes so they don't blue up. V&H doesn't make a full length heat shield for the 2-1 pipes. I'd like to do something besides scrub them to keep them clean.

Check out www.jethot.com

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
My Propipe has zero discoloration or yellowing. Has well over 15K on the pipe. I have read that this "yellowing" is caused by running LEAN while heavy and usually quite a bit of interstate speeds.
Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I have a '95 Wideglide. Have you tried clocking your heel stirrups one more spline down? I may be looking at them wrong but I think you may find they are even better when your heel sits just a little bit lower. I clocked mine 3 times before they felt exactly right. Best money ever spent...heel stirrups.
Sorry for being nosey or changing the subject a little bit.
Merry Christmas,
Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have only ridden once with the stirrups so far, but I'll keep that in mind. Weather in Germany has been crazy lately and it's supposed to snow all week.

Didn't think about running LEAN. I installed a PC 3 kit when I installed the pipes, and driving on the Autobahn here, we routinely hit 75 - 85 for short stretches.

I'll talk to my (much more) technical buddies and see what they say. Thanks Marine...

·
Registered
725 Posts
BoogieMan said:
Anybody know anything about Jet Hot or other processes to "treat" pipes so they don't blue up. V&H doesn't make a full length heat shield for the 2-1 pipes. I'd like to do something besides scrub them to keep them clean.

Check out www.jethot.com
Doesn't the V&H ProPipe HS 2-1 have a full length heat shield? The "HS" meaning heat shield. No visible bluing at all the entire length.

As for Jet Hot, have the headers of a BMW boxer coated. Works well enough though they can fade over time where there is significant hear (like near the cylinders).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No full Heat Shield. If you look closer at the picture, or save to your computer and zoom a bit, you can see where the heat shield ends near the yellowing.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Boogieman,
Quote "Didn't think about running LEAN. I installed a PC 3 kit when I installed the pipes, and driving on the Autobahn here, we routinely hit 75 - 85 for short stretches."

I would bet a big bunch of beer that being LEAN and running hard is the problem. Lean being the real problem. I guess the pipes are "Once yellow, always yellow" though. Good luck with finding the problem and getting the bike set up perfect.

Semper Fi,
Steve

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I got my White Bros E-series back from JetHot about a month and a half ago. Had them apply the Sterling coating. While it will never be mistaken for chrome, it looks very good and won't turn blue or yellow.

From the research I did prior to buying my pipes, heat will cause chrome to discolor. The places it gets the hotest discolor the fastest and the worst. The ususal suspects are right next to the heads and on a 2:1 at the collector. If the bike is running lean it will make the problem worse because of the excess heat, but even in perfect tune, you can plan on the basic pipe discoloring. The only sure fixes are adding full coverage heat shields (not an option in some cases such as mine) or go to a finish other than chrome. I'll get a pic of mine up soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts