1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle Mania 2, which airs on Sunday, January 13 at 9PM ET/PT on
Discovery Channel follows the exploits of the famed Jesse James, owner of
West Coast Choppers, who vowed to design, build and ride a custom chopper
from Long Beach, Calif., to the loudest, wildest motorcycle jamboree in the
world in Sturgis, S.D. -- a 1,400-mile trip. As Jesse pieces his bike
together, meet some interesting characters and one famous and very large
customer: Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal.

Additionally, they are running a sweepstakes where one lucky winner could have
the chance to ride away with a one-of-a-kind chopper Jesse custom built for
Discovery Channel. You'll have to tune-in to the show to find out how to
enter, but if you'd like more information now you can head to
http://dsc.discovery.com to read the official rules and see photos of the
bike.

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can see myself winning that machine!! Going to fill out that 3x5 card and send it in.

Imagine me on that wild ride.................yeeeeeehaaaaaa!

HIPPO, what do ya think? Blahaaaa :)

Jimmy T

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I could use the 50 G's

If I had to ride it, I wouldn't pay the 6 or 7 G's in taxes and stuff the winner will have to come up with.

JJ and his people are true artists in metal, but my interest in their bikes is purely academic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Custom built bikes have always caught my attention.

I like the various shapes, styling, chrome adaptation, custom machining, wild paint schemes, exhaust configurations, fuel delivery sytems, swingarm styles, lighting,....right down to the licence plate mounting.

The end recipes that detail all the various use of manufacturers that made up the bike, along with the "Build Time" and "Cost to Build" sure makes for some fun and interesting reading. Educational too!

Got me thinking....Is the JJ goup the only televised custom bike builders documentry, aside from the many other premier bike builders?

Must be nice to have a money pit to create these wild bike dreams!:cool:

Jimmy T

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Probably one of the few that has had a program fully dedicated. In the past I have seen crews filming at Paul's shop, but I think they said something about it having to do with winning the roadster show in Frisco or something.

It takes all kinds. Like I said I admire their craftsmanship forming metal with what amounts to their bare hands, but for me function is everything and no one can beat a CNC machining center. There is some beauty in close machining too.
I'll admit his bikes are very effective chick magnets, but it's probably more related to the cost then how the bike rides.
Come to think of it, maybe I should find a way to tow one behind the bagger. LOL

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
That was some show. Not much different from the first one. I enjoyed them both. I suspect that he doesn't sell that many totally custom built $60K+ bikes. I think in the first show he said that he does alot of customizing on harleys that customers bring in. He also sells fenders and pipes through retailers. That is why he got the "PAY UP SUCKER" tat on his palm,,,,because some of his distibuters didn't send him the money for his parts that he sent them.

It wasn't very encouraging seeing that seat fly off of his bike and the stripped threads. If I paid that much for a custom bike I would be p*ssed to see that happen. It didn't seem to bother him though. I hope that's not the bike that they are giving away in the sweepstakes. LOL

·
Registered
684 Posts
Although the 60 grand is (IMHO) way too much, I was glad to see American bikes on TV for a change. If he has a series, I'm sure most of us will be watching! What's going on with SpeedVision? American Thunder was advertised for the past 2 weeks, but no show!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Straydog said:
If he has a series, I'm sure most of us will be watching!

I don't think I would be watching. If a special, which is supposed to be about bikes, includes ....

The little interview with his buck toothed wife.

The little we are trying to work it out crap.

And finally....

That's it, we have reached a fork in the road crap like I care.

Well I do believe if this dude had a series it would air sometime between General Hospital and Divorce Court, and I am at work during those hours...LOL!

·
Registered
684 Posts
My main reason for watching this show, or the series, is to see the bikes. But to a certain degree, I thought the guy was entertaining, not typical of anyone I know, but entertaining nevertheless.

JimmyK, I agree with you. Some of his comments got on my nerves, ie; if it don't fit in your pocket, leave it behind! Would he have said that without the chase truck/trailer that had half his shop in it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I tell ya, Jesse is one lucky dawg! I don't know how he got hooked up with the discovery channel but boy has it gotten him fame. Since I'm a Harley guy, non bikers always want to tell me about Jesse James. I guess he's like the new authority on custom scoots or something. Don't get me wrong I like some of his stuff but I would ( if I had unlimited money) get something built by Arlen Ness. I have been a huge fan of his work since he set up shop back 30 years ago. (am I dating myself?)I have to admit it, back in the early 70's I rode a rigid Pan with a 14" over springer. Certainly a lesson in balance and bladder control! Anyway, good luck to JJ. Anybody else like Arlens work? Since I can't afford his bikes I am settling for just a pair of his fenders!

·
old timer
516 Posts
I think his bikes are radical creations and way too expensive for the average guy. I think he represents a new breed of guys who make outrageous scooters and I'd bet the few guys like Shaquille O'Neal who buy his rides don't log miles like the common bikers.

A ride to Sturgis was made out to be a big deal. Hell I rode 865 in one shot coming back from 4 Corners. I rode 3500 miles that week and I did it mostly alone or with Hippo. We did it without an entourage and a trailer filled with tools and help. ****, 1400 miles with a caravan doesn't seem too big an accomplishment.

I guess the star quality of these productions are more than the average motorcycle rider can fathom. The rest of us can't afford a breakdown truck full of crew members aren't travelling , I guess. I can't see what the big deal was ...and then the scooter had "fallout" along the way...LOL.

He's a great artist but I hardly figure him to be the epitomy of what a biker might be defined as.

Well, as they say, "there's an ass for every seat"

Beautiful bike built for Shaq...I wonder what y'all have for a logo to base your paint and wheels on....I don't have one...the Superman designed Wheels were terrific...maybe I could be "BratMan" or some such thing...if I was willing to take an entourage with me and ride to Daytona do you think anyone would produce a show about me...maybe not I don't build $60,000 bikes ... I must not be worth the time Jesse is...LOL.

Besides I like the host of American Thunder...she's easier on the eyes.

manny

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey Manny Bro!

Yup! And we have one before us this year. The "Tres" are going to be in the wind together without no pit crew.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 7 year old was blown away with the show and thought JJ was pretty cool. I think the guy has a petty good attitude and sense of humor. His greatest strength (other than sheet metal) is that he represents himself very well. He's hardcore with a smile.

This morning at breakfast my son wanted to know if he could ask Jesse two questions when we go to Daytona. I said sure what are they. You're gonna love this.

1. JJ you're pretty cool, but why do you build cool bikes that nobody has enough money to buy?

2. JJ will you give me and my Dad the plans for a chopper so we can build one cheap?

I love that lil boy o' mine...

Ape

1 - 20 of 32 Posts