V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better run out and buy your $150 tee shirts before they're all gone! Because Jason Momoa said so! What the, who the, how the.... And they're Polynesian influenced, some are pink. The inside of the fly on the pants says "Aloha" for crying out loud. Now I'll admit when HOG first started I joined. Well, when you bought a new bike you were automatically enrolled for a year. I rode all over this country stopping at local Dealerships and bought a tee shirt just to collect them. Back then they mostly had David Mann prints on them, or were the old HD advertisements. Heck, I even put some in frames and decorated my "man cave" with them. Collected coffee mugs and shot glasses too. But I digress, I stopped buying tee shirts a loong time ago. What is the MOCO doing? I've said it decades ago, it's not about riding, it's a friggin fashion show. But Jason Momoa and $150 tee shirts? Maybe, just maybe, if HD put out a little better product and listened to what us older riders wanted they wouldn't have to depend on "Motor Clothes" sales to offset their losses. Sorry for the rant. But, get yers!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Wow that brings back memories, in 84 I bought a new sportster, one year free membership to HOG also, never renewed. Did a trip from MD to Daytona, stopping and bought Dealership shirts along the way, next year rode to Canada doing the same. They were only a few bucks then, Haven't bought a Harley shirt in 30 years,

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that brings back memories, in 84 I bought a new sportster, one year free membership to HOG also, never renewed. Did a trip from MD to Daytona, stopping and bought Dealership shirts along the way, next year rode to Canada doing the same. They were only a few bucks then, Haven't bought a Harley shirt in 30 years,
What once was, will never be again. Sadly.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have a few shirts, one from Space Coast HD (bought the bike there, fantastic deal), one from Adamec HD in St. Augustine (local dealer, does right by it's customers, lots of local events and charity support) and one from Manchester HD in NH (helped me out when I was up north).

I also buy event shirts sometimes if I'm at the event.

I suppose if I liked the $150 Mamoa stuff I'd buy it too.

I don't ride HD because it's cheap. I don't mind spending extra on stuff I like either but I don't feel like it's wasted money when I spend either.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm sayin I'm old because I remember when you bought a bike the dealer would give you a leather jacket or helmet. I had to harass the salesman on the last buy to just throw in one of their cheap tee shirts.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think alot of their clothes are so high because they need to cover the expense of their boutique superstores too, Back in the 80's about all the dealers where mom n pop's, In Elkridge Md when I bought my bike, the dealership was in an old converted house, showroom on the main floor, parts upstairs, shop in a shed outback. Then they went Hollywood, big flashy building, everything overpriced,,, now their gone.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The last time I went to Daytona, on the last day shirts were 5 for $20... I bought 20 or 30 and mailed em to friends and women " back home" in Oregon....

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah stuff like that the vendors pretty much give away vs taking it back home. Especially if it's a dated event shirt. Some things that are new and hot you have to buy early otherwise they sell out. I went to an International Motorcycle Show at the Cow Palace in Daly City (SF Bay Area) and I made the vendor of jacks an offer on his demo at closing time on the last day. Got a great deal!

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
Talk about a bunch of yuppie looking shirts. You would think HD would have learned by now, not to use actors to design merchandise. These people are one thing on screen, and something totally different in the real world. I can't help but recall the M8 Softail introduction, when they gave all those scooters to actors and rock stars. What became of that? I think they do this stuff just so the corporate types and investors can get up close to these people for photo ops.

And those Hawaiian flower shirts are nice at a summer barbecue around the pool, but they don't survive very long at 70mph on a scooter. Been there, done that.

·
In disguise
2,901 Posts
Only dealer T-shirt I’ve ever owned came from a dealer in Europe while I lived there. Yes, I saw some novelty in that. But I still have it. And it’s still my only dealer shirt.

Looks like HD is looking to pitch their Pan America bike to a younger crowd, hence having Momoa in their advertising. Who knows? Might work. Gotta get a very different market to consider buying one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rode from NC to west coast last year. Heritage broke down near Elko, Nevada. Tried to use HOG tow benefit at 10am weekday. 2 hours later they offered a tow service $200 more than what I found in 15 minutes. Thanks HD.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody see the Momoa video where they gave him a new bike and he made like he painted it with a rattle can?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Rode from NC to west coast last year. Heritage broke down near Elko, Nevada. Tried to use HOG tow benefit at 10am weekday. 2 hours later they offered a tow service $200 more than what I found in 15 minutes. Thanks HD.
Elko, what a terrible spot to break down at... A million miles from anywhere....

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you live in a tourist destination like New Orleans you find yourself doing all sorts of stuff to entertain visitors.

With that in mind, I found myself standing in a long line of people buying Harley t-shirts back when the store was over on the West Bank.
As we work our way up closer to the cash register I overhear the store manager talking on the phone....
"No, we don't have a single motorcycle on the showroom floor".
That's what he was telling someone trying to shop for a new Harley over the phone.

It hit me like a lightning bolt.
A whole store full of customers buying t-shirts and not a single Harley for sale.
To be honest, I hadn't even noticed it myself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts