V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the Jagg 4600 Oil Filter Adaptor on an FLHT ? I have a 2002 Ultra which I have the HD oil cooler on, but HD has the oil lines routed from the front forks to behind the engine and back - seems like a lot of oil line for this type of application. I'm thinking of installing the Jagg adaptor and reroute the oil cooler lines to it instead of the oil return line on the engine. Here is the URL for info on the Jagg:

http://www.jpcycles.com/shop/product.asp?PRID=224350&GPID=7867

HD uses a similar adaptor for their Softail oil cooler (but not the Ultra).

Anyone using this or a similar part to support an oil cooler on an FLHT ? Any reason why the Jagg adaptor wouldn't work ?

Thanx -

·
Registered
903 Posts
I did some research on this and bought one myself. Looking to install it probably Tuesday on my '01 FLHTCUI. There is no reason why it wouldn't work with any oil cooler and I know people who have done it already. They say that it makes changing the filter easier. I received the adapter already and it looks a little more difficult to install than I imagined but much easier than routing oil lines the way H-D cooler wants you to. After I do the install I'll post the results in the Touring Family forum.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mohawk....I bought one of those adapters but am still working on how to mount the cooler. I bought a 700 series Lockhart cooler (alot bigger than most coolers). When I get it all done I will post here....

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have installed the Jagg adapter and oil coolers on my 2000 Road King and 2002 Ultra. I used the low mount oil cooler on the Ultra and the frame tube mount on the Road King. I have had no problems with either and they work . I am undecided whether to put in the thermostat.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I installed the Jagg offset adapter, frame tube cooler and thermostat without a problem on my 01 FLHT. Works great with no leaks. Better check with Harley Joel in the Touring family forum...He didn't have as much luck as I did.

Fastlane

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, here is my experience with the Jagg Oil Cooler adaptor. Went to install it this morning on my FLHTC. First thing I noticed was that it was covered with aluminum flakes and dust from the manufacturing process. Not a good thing for an oil adaptor. I disassembled it and cleaned it with some degreaser removing quite a bit of dirt and metal dust and shavings. Next I started installing the adaptor. I discovered that if you follow Jagg's instructions, you can't get to the rear adaptor bolt to tighten it because the oil hose (which you've already clamped in place) is in the way. It's easier to leave the oil lines off and just install the adaptor, then the lines. While tightening the leftmost adaptor screw, I had the same problem that HarleyJoel had - the screw stripped the aluminum threads rendering the adaptor useless. I wasted a good part of the day and ended up back where I started. The Jagg will be returned on Monday - I won't get another one and based on their quality control I can't recomend it to anyone...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Installed the 4600 adapter, on my 2012 street Bob. Parts were well machined and install is straight forward. The only issue I had was the lock nut that screws the adapter plate to the existing threaded oil filter mount. The lock nut is 3/4" inside thread hollow bolt about an inch long with a hexagonal hollow head. The problem,,,or dilemma is the lock nut only engages a thread or 2 when tightened down against the gasket. I wrote JAGG, and Marv (good service) answered the next day reassuring me that it would be more than secure enough. Given the risk factor, I would like to over kill this by finding a part like this, just an 1/8"- 1/4" longer so I can engage more threads. Can't find a source for this part,,,don't even know where to look. Any suggestions would help. Maybe a good machine shop?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I Installed the 4600 adapter, on my 2012 street Bob. Parts were well machined and install is straight forward. The only issue I had was the lock nut that screws the adapter plate to the existing threaded oil filter mount. The lock nut is 3/4" inside thread hollow bolt about an inch long with a hexagonal hollow head. The problem,,,or dilemma is the lock nut only engages a thread or 2 when tightened down against the gasket. I wrote JAGG, and Marv (good service) answered the next day reassuring me that it would be more than secure enough. Given the risk factor, I would like to over kill this by finding a part like this, just an 1/8"- 1/4" longer so I can engage more threads. Can't find a source for this part,,,don't even know where to look. Any suggestions would help. Maybe a good machine shop?
I found the same thing installing mine last month. There's definitely 3 or 4 more threads that could have been used on the OEM nipple. It was one of the things that turned me off to all the hype about Jaggs stuff being so great. The adapter itself seems to be well made and it puzzles why they would cheap out on the part that holds it all together. I guess time will tell...

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
i put a low mount on my 06 SG back in 06.....it was ok....didnt really drop temps 30 deg like they said....periodically developed leaks around the two halves or the hoses....i just pulled it off and will sell it for 100 bucks + shipping

·
Premium Member
6,014 Posts
I put the Derale 25770 on my FLSTFB. Then plumbed in a double pass cooler, presently adding a warm up bypass to it. Been happy with it, found the Derale at etrailer.com for 28 bucks.

I wanted a little more clearance on the crank sensor so I milled another 0.150 off the filter side of the casting to clean it up a little on fitment.

I will post pics when I finish the bypass and reinstall.

I did not care for the long warm up time with the cooler always online. The bypass keeps the cooler out of the circuit until oil hits 140 F then starts to dual path until the oil hits 180 F at which time the cooler is in circuit with 100 percent flow.

I also change to a short filter using a 14 PSI bypass.

The 10 PSI bypass that Harley uses in their filter is to low to get consistant filtering. Most of these V twin engines warm are still above 10 PSI differential in the filter media so they are bypassed almost all the time under acecleration. I like more filtering.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Several years ago, I installed a 10 row Jagg oil cooler, and adapter on my 03 Ultra Classic.

I don't like the idea of an oil cooler riding so close to the ground as the stock Harley cooler does.

I made a bracket, and installed my cooler on the first cross brace above the rectifier. I did cut out a small curved section of my lower fairing so the oil lines would pass and keep their natural curve.

The Jagg adapter does make changing the filter easier, make sure to get the small add on accessory that keeps the adapter from turning when you remove the filter.

The only issue I've had, is recently, the center fitting the filter screws on comes off with the filter. No problem, just thread it back on the Jagg adapter and install the new filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lock nut doesn't reach threads

I found a solution for the lock nut threads too short to engage the oil filter nipple. Mill a countersink into the base plate of the adapter. I centered the opening on the drill press and used a standard Forstner bit. Yes it will easily cut aluminum. Clamp plate down don't rush the cut. These bits are edge guided and leave a flat bottom. Only need about an 1/8" recess to allow the nut to reach more threads.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Have installed several Jagg oil coolers, low and frame mounts. Have never experienced the "threads too short" problem and have found Jagg/Marv to be more than accomodating with problems. If I had received a cooler with metal shavings as a previous poster did, a call to Marv would have resolved that issue; he would have sent another cooler and probably picked up postage both ways.

Always install the anti-rotation device and eliminate most of the opportunities for leaks that develop from rotation when changing filters. Just my experience.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Have installed several Jagg oil coolers, low and frame mounts. Have never experienced the "threads too short" problem and have found Jagg/Marv to be more than accomodating with problems. If I had received a cooler with metal shavings as a previous poster did, a call to Marv would have resolved that issue; he would have sent another cooler and probably picked up postage both ways.

Always install the anti-rotation device and eliminate most of the opportunities for leaks that develop from rotation when changing filters. Just my experience.

@gree: I've run several Jagg coolers and have had no issues, always use the anti rotation device on the adapter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts