V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Jag deluxe oil coolers on the down tubes on my 04 FLHTCI last year. They worked great for oil cooling. The units were shipped with black fuel/vapor lines which I used to connect the units to the oil circuit. I noticed today that when I started the engine with high cold oil pressure, 60 psi idle, the lines were bulging out. When the oil heated up and the pressure dropped they lost the bulge. I checked the hose and Jagg supplies standard 3/8 ID SAE30R7 line. This line is only rated for 50 psi max. My bike pulls that pressure hot at 3000 rpm cruising. I believe Harley gets their cooler kits from Jagg also. Not sure but they look the same. I will be changing out my lines to SAE30R9 high pressure hose, 180 psi immediately. I think this is piss poor quality for such a simple item that is shipped with the kits. Once the engine was hot and oil thinned out, I snapped the throttle past 3000 rpm and the lines bulged out again. I’m sure they get worse under high heat conditions. I haven’t heard of anybody blowing lines but it sure doesn’t look right to me. Ya’ll running coolers may want to check your hoses.

:thumbsdn:

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've heard a couple of stories about guys having the same trouble. But also know some that have run upwards of 50,000 miles using the same lines. Don't remember seeing any ID on lines coming with Harley kits though.

Just out of curiousity, where are you getting the SAE30R9 hose??

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Peacekeeper,

Does you cooler have an internal thermostat? If it does, oil should not be passing through the hoses until your oil has reached operating temperature.

Are you running fueler's, Baisley spring, ect.?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to check auto zone or NAPA, they should have the high pressure lines.

No thermostat, its tied directly to the Jagg adapter that goes between the filter and mount. Oil is pumping as soon as its started.

Factory pump, no spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts