V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I read in a thread about someone having their jacket altered so that the front of the jacket didn't bunch up while riding. Some guy or gal measures you while ''in the position''.

I cna't find it in a search.

Anyone remember this thread or have experience with this type of alteration?

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
Some time ago I read in a thread about someone having their jacket altered so that the front of the jacket didn't bunch up while riding. Some guy or gal measures you while ''in the position''.

I cna't find it in a search.

Anyone remember this thread or have experience with this type of alteration?
That was me.
The place that measured and tailored it was Bates Leathers out here in SoCal.

http://www.batesleathers.com/

Call and speak to Dawn.
They'll make you a jacket, or alter the one you have.​

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thank you. Got a couple questions for ya.

What did it cost you?

How does the jacket fit while off the bike, say, walking around. It seems like it could be really short after they are done. I wear my jacket a lot off the bike so I would need it to still fit comfortably.

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
Cool, thank you. Got a couple questions for ya.

What did it cost you?

How does the jacket fit while off the bike, say, walking around. It seems like it could be really short after they are done. I wear my jacket a lot off the bike so I would need it to still fit comfortably.

Thanks.
I think the jacket was around $500.00, but I can't be sure.

I actually have two jackets by Bates Leather. The first one is a "Highwayman II" made in 1991. I had the whole jacket, sleeves and all, lined with the 3M Thinsulate, and it keeps me really warm in the winter. Since it was measured in a sitting position, it is very comfortable while riding. Not so much standing around and walking because it's thick and heavy. When I had it made, they told me it was for riding, not walking or posing in a bar, and they were right. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it gets too hot to wear in warm weather. It is a great cold weather jacket.

So for hot weather I had them tailor make me a Supervent. I had them add zippered vents in the biceps to allow even more air in. I also had them cut it a bit "fuller" in the body, to allow me to wear a heated vest, or heated jacket liner under it. Once again it is very comfortable to wear in a riding position, and is fairly comfortable to walk around in. I wouldn't get off the bike and hike around a national park in it, but I have walked around SteamBoat Springs, and Jackson Wyoming in it.

One of the neat things they did was cut the waist so that when I sit, it closes around my hips without rising and bunching up. When I stand it appears loose at the waist (actually it IS loose at the waist), but when I sit on the bike, the lower tail portion, and the shorter front portion literally seal from the front of my hips around to the lower part of my back. So while it is shorter in the front to accomodate the natural bend of the waist, it is longer in the back to keep air out and to keep from rising up. I had the Mandarin collar cut just a tad loose, so I could pull up the collar of my heated liner, or wear a neck tube hood balaclava.

Here is a picture of the Supervent. See how it looks loose at the waist? That seals up when I am sitting.

Here is a picture of the backside. See how low the tail is cut, it covers below the belt and half my butt. Notice how it slightly rises from back to front.

Here is a picture of the HighwaymanII all zipped up for cold weather at Bear Tooth Pass.

And here is an older picture (yes, I did have hair at one time) of the HighwaymanII opened up.

You can see which one is heavier and bulkier.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what I was looking for! Those are some good looking jackets you have.

I'll give Dawn a call and see what they can do for my jacket I already have. From your post it seems they really know what they are doing.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions and post pictures!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think both and an actor. In that third picture he sure looks a lot like Lawrence Fishburn in the Matrix!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts