V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I removed my inner primary on my 2000 Dyna FXDX to change out the trans shaft seal and big O ring around the Stator. They gave me a starter seal with the kit.My question is does anyone know the best way to install this seal (starter Jackshaft). It is down in the case about an 1". I might be able to tap in in with a socket about the same size, but thought I 'd ask first.

Just a couple of pix of my progress yesterday. I have the inner primary off now and installed the big trans seal. anything I should know about the mid shft tube and seals/ thank you in advance for you fast response.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
My question is does anyone know the best way to install this seal (starter Jackshaft). It is down in the case about an 1". I might be able to tap in in with a socket about the same size, but thought I 'd ask first.
You can improvise a pusher to do this job easily, use a couple of sockets, one socket slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the seal to press the seal into the primary cover, the other socket a bit larger than the opening in the cover.

Put the seal into the cover, one socket against the seal, the other on the far side of the cover and draw the seal in using a long bolt or threaded rod, nuts and washers to draw the sockets toward each other.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds real good Dan-gonna go look for everything I need. Was worried about tapping it in with a hammer and socket. Your idea will pull it in straight. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thank you Dan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts