V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to get me a jack for Christmas. Our local Sears has both the new one and the old one. I searched back here and it seems like the discussions at that point were fairly speculative on the new one so I am posing the question again. Can anyone who has the new Craftsman jack evaluate it?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
A freind of mine has the new one and likes it better than the old one. he had an old one and gave it away when it blew oil all over him, it was an older one with years of service given to him. the new one is lighter and sits lower.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
the OTC 1545 jack is lower and has longer rails than the sears/others. if you are interested the cheapest place to buy it is www.thetoolwarehouse.net - it's $105 + $20 UPS overweight = $125 delivered.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I have the Sears jack...got it last christmas for 99 bucks I think. I am pleased with it. However, my Road King has been lowered, so I have to ride my bike up on 1.5" boards to get the jack underneath the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I have the new one. Don't have any experience with the first, lower-priced model. Mine does what it is supposed to do on my Road King Standard. I recently used it to move the scooter over to the corner of the garage for the winter. I'm satisfied with the product. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I have the new Sears jack also. It is low enough to easily fit under my Softail Classic, has several mechanical holds so you can raise it then lower it onto a hold, which leaves the bike in the air without any load on the hydraulic jack...pretty slick arrangement! Looks to be very good quality also. I'm glad I got mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The new craftsman is a solid, lightweight jack and it slides right under my fatboy{3 1/2" tall at lowest heighth}. It's got the locking bar for different heights on it as stated above and comes with two plates to add heighth for atv's, etc... My bike was on it most of the day yesterday{nail in rear tire}. Yeah it cost me a little more but well worth it imo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have both.

I have been using the old red one for over a year on my Heritage.
It works fine but will not fit under bike unless I raise an inch or so.
I purchased the new yellow one just so I do not have to bother with raising the bike before I can jack it up. This one fits under bike as is.
I can't tell any difference other than the new one seems to be a little harder to pump the handle.

Both feel about the same in the raised position.
I would recommend the new one for the above reason and it also weighs about half as much as the old one.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I have the old style Craftsman and it does the job, but as others have said, it doesn't easily fit under some bikes. I have to stand my Super Glide up and slide the jack under it with my foot.

The other thing I don't like about the old one is for some goofy ass reason they put the tie down rings on the lifting platform on one side and on the base on the other. You can't secure the bike on both sides before lifting. Really dumb design, although some u-bolts and a welder will take care of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts