V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order form J&P Cycles this week. This was my second order with a couple of weeks. On my last order, I paid the $50 to be a Gold member and get discounted prices. With my order and membership came a coupon for $15.00 off an order os $50.00 or more. My order came to $81.72 so I used the coupon to reduce the cost to $66.72. They charge $66.72 to my credit card. All is well. Next thing I know, they credit the $66.72 and recharge my credit card $81.72. As I'm examing my problem, I notice that I was also charged $1.75 for insurance. They ship UPS wich includes $100.00 minimum insurance. Reguardless of how J&P ships, they have no right to charge the customer for insurance. When you purchase an item online from anybody, it is their responsibility to get the item to you in the condition you paid for. The consumer is not responsible for insurance. I talked to them online and expressed my displeasure. "Joni" said she would credit my account the $15.00 for the coupon and this one time she would credit the $1.75 for the insurance, but in the future I would have to pay for insurance. I did finally receive the $15.00 coupon credit but not the $1.75 for the bogus insurance charge. I was an Ebay seller for 15 years with UPS and FedEx accounts. I know what shipping costs and whether or not insurance is included.

For $1.75 J&P Cycles has lost a customer. I've done business with them on several occasions over the years and have been satisfied.This try to slip in a coupole extra bucks policy has prompted me to buy elsewhere from now on.

I am not suggesting that anyone else stop doing business with them. That's your decission and yours alone. I just bwanted to share the experience with you.

To J&P Cycles I say:cya:

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
J&P is my second pick because of their shipping charges, that is why I use Dennis Kirk when I can, KirK will ship faster too

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J&P is my second pick because of their shipping charges, that is why I use Dennis Kirk when I can, KirK will ship faster too
When J&P or any other online company charges X amount for shipping, they are not charging their actual shipping cost. They make a little on each shipment. I don't have a problem with that. I did it myself as an Ebay seller. There's nothing illegal or immoral about that.

It's when they charge me for insurance that #1 is their responsibility and not mine, and #2 to charge me for something again that I'm already paying for in the shipping charge.

Charge me a fair price for the merchandise. I expect you to make a profit, that's why you're in business.

Charge me a reasonable price for shipping. I don't care if you make a little from that.

DO NOT charge me for something I don't need and you have no intention of supplying. If you take my money and give me nothing in return, I consider that stealing.

Okay, I'm finished venting. Sorry to all that are annoyed by my rant. I'll be quiet now :whistle:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I hear ya. I can't stand it when I get nickled and dimed like that. Poor business decision on their part.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
When J&P or any other online company charges X amount for shipping, they are not charging their actual shipping cost. They make a little on each shipment. I don't have a problem with that. I did it myself as an Ebay seller. There's nothing illegal or immoral about that.

It's when they charge me for insurance that #1 is their responsibility and not mine, and #2 to charge me for something again that I'm already paying for in the shipping charge.

Charge me a fair price for the merchandise. I expect you to make a profit, that's why you're in business.

Charge me a reasonable price for shipping. I don't care if you make a little from that.

DO NOT charge me for something I don't need and you have no intention of supplying. If you take my money and give me nothing in return, I consider that stealing.

Okay, I'm finished venting. Sorry to all that are annoyed by my rant. I'll be quiet now :whistle:
I hear you and I agree, but when I buy from them, it is with my eyes wide open. They also stand behind what they sell and if you have an issue they do their best to make it right.

Companies truely shine or fail with a customer when there is a problem. not in the simple transactions

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
I hear you and I agree, but when I buy from them, it is with my eyes wide open. They also stand behind what they sell and if you have an issue they do their best to make it right.

Companies truely shine or fail with a customer when there is a problem. not in the simple transactions
I recently made my first purchase from J&P. They were the only one that I was able to find the item I was looking for (short 49 mm fork boots). Their price was reasonable and they were upfront about the shipping and insurance thing. All part of doing business in the electronic age I guess.

As far as passing the cost of doing business on to customers, J&P isn't the only one. I recently attempted to purchase a "Direct Lift" from one of their dealers in Portland Oregon. I was set to drive down there to get the lift and in the final confirmation call to see that they had the item the salesman dropped a a casual comment about the $125 dollars shipping on the item. Seems they feel it fair to pass that on to the customer when they haul the container full of chinese made lifts from port of portland to their store and were not willing to negotiate on the shipping costs at all. I did pass on purchasing their lift and bought one just like it from another dealer in Monroe (no shipping).

Keep your eyes wide open and determine your price point. Am I going to not buy from J&P over 1.75 nope but I will pass when the added fees get higher than a kite.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My first. and hopefully last experience with J&P did not go well either. Order 2 little bits,
a battery pad, and fork drain screws. Well though I felt the shipping was a little high, I let it slip by. The order came to me in a box that was way to large, and with the insurance almost doubled the cost of my order. This was shipped USPS, They didn't really make any money on the shipping, insurance, but could have put it in a shipping envelope and sent it out for a 1/3 of what I was charged. Now I go out of my way to
do all my business with local Indys.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was shipped USPS, They didn't really make any money on the shipping, insurance, but could have put it in a shipping envelope and sent it out for a 1/3 of what I was charged
This is exactly my point. They do indeed make money on the shipping. UPS does not charge them the same amount they charge you. On top of that, insurance is included at no extra cost to them. So when they tack on the extra for insurance, they're just stealing from you. I wasn't upset that they made money on the shipping, everybody does that. I got pissed when they added for insurance that is free to them. Plus she said she would credit it to my card and never did. It's a very small amount of money but the principal gets me going.

I've never had a problem with their merchandise of shipping in the past, but to blatantly try to rip me off, even for pennies is a no no.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yea, I ordered some parts from J&P right after I got my RK; everything went smoothly. Even did the Gold upgrade.

Well they are selling NFL Helmets, and I needed one and so did a buddy. I ordered 2 of them, they said "Available 7 - 10 days". Fine... Well After over 30 days I cancled because they STILL aren't in stock, and I called the manufacture directly and ordered them. We'll see, but they said they shipped them on Friday... 2 days after I ordered them.

J&P kept telling me they didn't know what was taking so long, and couldn't give me any reasons or ETA. By the time I got them from J&P I might of had them for NEXT season!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bet he made a honest mistake charging you the 15 dallars...I bet he apologized to you..You new when you ordered about the 175 insurance..Do you want me to send you 175....:)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet he made a honest mistake charging you the 15 dallars...I bet he apologized to you..You new when you ordered about the 175 insurance..Do you want me to send you 175....:)
No, there was no apology. They charged me the correct amount the first time, credited that and re charged me the higher amount.

Yes I knew about the 1.75 when I placed the order. I had made up my mind at that point that I was finished with them after this order and wasn't going to make an issue of it. It was during the live chat over the 15.00 overcharge that the 1.75 came up in conversation.

If you have nothing better to do than trying to start something with me, maybe you need a hobby. Take the 1.75 and buy yourself something.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
The shipping cost charged is why I only buy from J&M when I am at the Laughlin River Run.
They have a tent and give free shipping and a 10% discount.
I save much and use the money for entertainment at the Run.:beer:

·
Registered
48 Posts
No, there was no apology. They charged me the correct amount the first time, credited that and re charged me the higher amount.

Yes I knew about the 1.75 when I placed the order. I had made up my mind at that point that I was finished with them after this order and wasn't going to make an issue of it. It was during the live chat over the 15.00 overcharge that the 1.75 came up in conversation.

If you have nothing better to do than trying to start something with me, maybe you need a hobby. Take the 1.75 and buy yourself something.
First off your the one crying like a little girl about 16.75..I thought this was a harley forum ..Is this the biggest problem you ever had?..Big deal..Get over it .:dh:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off your the one crying like a little girl about 16.75..I thought this was a harley forum ..Is this the biggest problem you ever had?..Big deal..Get over it .:dh:
I don't remember asking for your personal opinion on anything. I f my post isn't up to your bad ass tough guy standards, just don't read or respond.

I made a perfectly legit post about my discontent with J&P's shipping ploicies. Didn't say "Beware" or ask anybody else not to do business there. Just simply passed on my personal experience.

You want to sit behind your computer screen and play tough guy, go right ahead. You want to start with the name calling, go right ahead. I'm not impressed and I doubt anyone who has been reading this thread is either. If you need to feel like a bad ass, I hope this is working for you. does it make you a bad ass? I don't think so but keep trying :redrolf::hystria::redrolf:

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Yea, I noticed the nickel, dime charges. I don't like it either but I will still use them for now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Every year at bike week I buy from J&P cycle,The booth they have at the speedway always offers 10% off and free shipping out of state,so I have it shipped to my Indiana address.I have never had a problem with them.But I will stress that is the only time I buy from them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm really sorry to here about JP, it's probably been about 5 years since I've bought anything from them but at the time I was very well satisfied. Good info though, I'll definately read the fine print before I order from them again.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put this into the same category as the doc fees that the dealers charge when you purchase a new vehicle. There's another good example of a rip off.

Don't you just get tired of being nickel and dimed to death and always having somebody trying to slip one over on you?

Obviously not a big amount of money here but some times I just get fed up with that crap. Why not just add a buck to the price of every item they sell? I doubt that dollar wouldn't cause anyone to buy the item somewhere else, and nobody would get pissed off.

I don't plan to boycott J&P, but I'll definitely shop around a little more before I order anything from them again. Maybe if enough customers bring it to their attention, they may find a better way to get that 1.75 so we don't even know we're paying i:coffee:t.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Plumbiker you make a very good point. I was in the shipping and receiving department for a very large manufacturing company and shipped items all over the world (retired now). We used Purolator, Fedex, UPS, and DHL. It's the senders responsibility to get that shipment to the customer (you). If they choose to provide insurance on that shipment so be it, they pay, not the customer. Although its only $1.75, its the principal of the matter not the price. Think of all the other thousands of customer J&P are ripping of. That $1.75 sure adds up in a hurry. That is incorrect shipping charges. 100% agreement here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts