V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Although I have asked one or two of you questions already, I have yet to introduce myself properly to a group of Harley owner/riders that struck me from day 1 with their collective experience, humour and friendliness.

Like a moth to a flame I have circled around various local H-D dealers, explored many web resources, and tried to get an insight into what you all feel and think about your rides. And the closer I got the more I liked what I saw.

I live in London, UK, am married to an American lady and have two teen sons. I am 50 this year, and have owned a few *** bikes and European bikes. Many of those were fast and efficient, but mechanical perfection soon gets boring. I wanted a bike that just demands attention, that some days (like its owner) feels a little rough - a bike with some character. And I think I've found it. The fact that I also get to show support for the USA at a tricky time politically is a bonus.

On a tight family budget I have finally settled on a deep red '95 Sportster 883. I bought her (with screen, highway pegs and taxes paid) not from the main dealer Warrs but from our local indy Jeff Murphy - for much the same reasons as I chose the bike - a character who loves Harleys and is trying to make a living trading in "older" bikes and just keeping them going - I like that - the shop looks right, and it smells right.

OK - enough of the ramble - I pick her up on Saturday - and once I've cleaned her up I'll get a photo up here too.

Thanks in advance for the advice that you will doubtless offer when I get to grips with my new ride's little ways!

From a sunny and dry UK,

Nick

Harley-Davidson Sportster 883cc - USA
BMW 650/1000cc - Germany
Honda 250/400/Shadow - Japan
Peugeot 100cc - France
Piaggio 50cc - Italy
Ducati 50cc - Italy

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,Staib !

Thanks for the great intro,& congrats on the Sportster.

Post often & enjoy the forum!
guido

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone - I appreciate the warm welcome. The cash is on my bedside table, the insurance has been sorted, all I gotta do now is wait till tomorrow morning!

Hope your weekend(s) are as good as mine is going to be!

Nick

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome Staib,

Enjoy that Sportster they are real good handling quick bikes, hopefully you guys don have to deal with idiots on cell phone while they are driving.

Enjoy and be safe,

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Sirius - thanks for the Mexican welcome. I lived in Mexico DF from '82-'84 and have many happy memories ;-)
LOL Dave - we have a few of them over here too!
Owned my Sporty for over 48hrs already - I still love her!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts