V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Yes, that's right, 21 years since I had my last road bike. You know, no money, kids, house, etc, etc. Finally took delivery on Aug 10th of a new Harley. Have about 750 miles logged on the clock. Man, it feels good to ride again. Looking to do an exhaust/air cleaner /jet change at my 1000 mile service. Really enjoy this this forum!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am sure you are enjoying your new FXDWG3, that a fantastic bike. But you may also want to consider taking the Motorcycle Safety foundation (MSF) course as a refresher. I hadn’t been on a bike for about 10 years and took it and thought it was a great course, really helpful. Also, since you are a HOG member, HOG will give you a coupon for $50 HOG buck towards the cost of the course and most insurance companies will give you a discount if you take it, too. So you might end up getting paid to take it. The main thing is to be safe and live to ride another day.

Welcome back to bikes and to a really good board.

Dave

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Welcome back...

I know the feeling, although I got impatient and waited a year less by buying second hand :)

Damn it's good being back in the breeze, isn't it?

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
695 Posts
A hearty welcome to you fxdwg3. 21 + years? HA! That's a long wait, but I can for sure relate when it comes to the costs of taking care of a family.
I thought I was bad off with 15 -- now you're King of the hill HA! The only difference is that I've been trying to "save" for my Harley for this long of a time. I've never stopped ridin since I was a kid.
Real happy for you -- I bet it sure feels good, doesn't it?
I'm a FNG myself (to Harleys and this forum), I wanted to ask you a question since the bike I'm waiting on is a wide glide. I keep seeing the FXDWG and then the 1 or 2 or 3 after it -- what do the numbers mean? Is that the year of the bike?
Anyway thanks for jumpin' in to the forum, look forward to reading your posts.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Originally posted by cox9000
I keep seeing the FXDWG and then the 1 or 2 or 3 after it -- what do the numbers mean? Is that the year of the bike?

Cox, I'm pretty sure the letters are a designation indicating a CVO (custom vehicle operation ) model. I believe the latest FXDWG3 is the red one w/ the gold leaf accents. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Twincamzz,

I take a crack at that answer for you, the motor company comes out with special factory customs and last few years they selected the Dyan Wide Glide. This year it's the black and gold Duce. They fix them up big bore kits, and performance extras and about every piece of chrome from Harley's accessories catalog, and of course it's priced more than the stock model but then they only make a few thousand a year. My favorite was the FXWDG2, red with the gold leaf flames.

You can go to the Official HD web page and see the Duce and RK they are doing up this year, both are real sweet.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses! As VA V-rod stated, the number at the end of the model designation refers to the year.......1=2000, 2=2001, 3=2002........you get the idea. Mine is the black with gold flames. Yea, it's been a long time since I've owned a road bike but have been riding on "borrowed" bikes from freinds that have too many! Also been doing the ATV & dirt bike thing with my 2 sons, so I've kept-up my riding skills on & off-road.
One thing I've noticed, I see a lot more fellow bikers on the road than 20+ years ago. Yea..........IT FEELS GOOD!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts