V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
System relay is operated by the on-off handlebar switch and the e c m, it controls the power 2 the coils , fuel injectors and fuel pump, so if it's dying and the fuel pump is not running, I'd start there.
I thought about that because I changed out the switch covers a few years back. May have pinched a wire on the kill switch and its failing now. I will pull that apart and see. I just might replace the switch all together. thank you.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I thought about that because I changed out the switch covers a few years back. May have pinched a wire on the kill switch and its failing now. I will pull that apart and see. I just might replace the switch all together. thank you.
I would think if the wire were pinched it would blow fuses,, maybe bad switch or relay, I would start circuit tests.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts

See link with my similar issue years ago. You can throw parts at it but I would get HD Electrical Diag manual and follow the troubleshooting steps. I've used it more than once for various problems and it's gotten me right down to a harness/connector issue for an engine sensor that I never would have figured out on the fly.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Sounds electrical to me. I had the same issue ('90 FXLR) and it was the kill switch wiring connection under the tank.
I would make sure the kill switch and ignition are working properly first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 05 Ultra Classic with the 88ci. I'll be riding and out of the blue she will die like I turned off the ignition or hit the kill switch. After I get off the side of the road she will not start. When I do try to start her she just wears down the battery like I have the ignition switch turned off. When I turn off then on the ignition switch I can't even hear the fuel pump prime. I have sat there for a couple of hours and then I can get her to start. A couple of times I have towed her home and she wouldn't start for a week then all the sudden she comes to life. I have gone through all of my connections cleaning and using dielectric grease. It is so random when it happens. Got me scratching my head and drinking a lot of whiskey. Help is needed. Thanks in advance.
Replace the main circuit breaker with a size larger. There was a recall for this on the early 88s. Had to do it to my 2000 ultra in 2002. Never had another problem.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Replace the main circuit breaker with a size larger. There was a recall for this on the early 88s. Had to do it to my 2000 ultra in 2002.....
Seems like if there was a recall on this that you used in 2002, it would have been fixed on new bikes after that. But maybe not.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Mine has tipped over and triggered the sensor. It cranked fine, but got no fuel.
Cycling the key on and off a few times reset it.

I thought I remember hearing about a problem with these and/or the bracket that holds them on some bikes.
I could be wrong. It was just a thought. Mind is getting slow and old. lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an 05 Ultra Classic with the 88ci. I'll be riding and out of the blue she will die like I turned off the ignition or hit the kill switch. After I get off the side of the road she will not start. When I do try to start her she just wears down the battery like I have the ignition switch turned off. When I turn off then on the ignition switch I can't even hear the fuel pump prime. I have sat there for a couple of hours and then I can get her to start. A couple of times I have towed her home and she wouldn't start for a week then all the sudden she comes to life. I have gone through all of my connections cleaning and using dielectric grease. It is so random when it happens. Got me scratching my head and drinking a lot of whiskey. Help is needed. Thanks in advance.
Ok, so I have an '03 that does the same thing. If you give it 15 to 20 minutes it should start again. The power relay gets hot and thinks your drawing to much current and opens. There have been back in the early 2000's a bunch of threads on this with fixes, I find it generally happens on hot days that I'm not going fast enough to keep the heat down. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
619 Posts
What you need to do with these problems, is note what is working and what is not. Then looking at wiring diagram. Electric manual has flow diagram too.

If you got lights, it aint the main breaker, if that year had one. If it cranks over it aint the battery, and probably not a bunch of other relays. Not firing takes a little more thought.

Power relays are cheap. I started replacing them based on age. Need to look at see which bikes I did. I think there is one for starting and one for lights, maybe. My year both same.

My 01 I upgrade to 50 amp main, My 07 I picked up a spare maxi fuse.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts