V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Ultra Classic with the 88ci. I'll be riding and out of the blue she will die like I turned off the ignition or hit the kill switch. After I get off the side of the road she will not start. When I do try to start her she just wears down the battery like I have the ignition switch turned off. When I turn off then on the ignition switch I can't even hear the fuel pump prime. I have sat there for a couple of hours and then I can get her to start. A couple of times I have towed her home and she wouldn't start for a week then all the sudden she comes to life. I have gone through all of my connections cleaning and using dielectric grease. It is so random when it happens. Got me scratching my head and drinking a lot of whiskey. Help is needed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,942 Posts
Got me scratching my head and drinking a lot of whiskey.
Drinking more whiskey may help.

If it turns over and you've checked all of the connections, you're going to need the Harley Electrical Diagnostics Manual and a VOM to trouble shoot.

Or you can throw parts at it.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR -1369

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You can spray refrigerant of most any sort at each part to kool it off, then try to start it.
The bad part will come back online until it gets warm.
Start with triggers and coil.
Just to sit there and crank until the battery is dead and be towed home is just silly.
You are killing your starter, starter circuits, and battery life.
Are you sure you should be the one fixing this?

·
Super Moderator
22,400 Posts
That scooter uses a main power relay, so that the place to start.

Past that, you need to know more about what happens when it cuts off. Carry a VOM and see what loses power while its dead. Maybe a can of carb cleaner to see if it will run on that after it dies. Just spry it down the suck hole while cranking it.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,683 Posts
I have an 05 Ultra Classic with the 88ci. I'll be riding and out of the blue she will die like I turned off the ignition or hit the kill switch. After I get off the side of the road she will not start. When I do try to start her she just wears down the battery like I have the ignition switch turned off. When I turn off then on the ignition switch I can't even hear the fuel pump prime. I have sat there for a couple of hours and then I can get her to start. A couple of times I have towed her home and she wouldn't start for a week then all the sudden she comes to life. I have gone through all of my connections cleaning and using dielectric grease. It is so random when it happens. Got me scratching my head and drinking a lot of whiskey. Help is needed. Thanks in advance.
How are you able to crank the starter with the ignition switch off?

·
Banned
619 Posts
I have an 05 Ultra Classic with the 88ci. I'll be riding and out of the blue she will die like I turned off the ignition or hit the kill switch. After I get off the side of the road she will not start. When I do try to start her she just wears down the battery like I have the ignition switch turned off.

When I turn off then on the ignition switch I can't even hear the fuel pump prime. I have sat there for a couple of hours and then I can get her to start.
. I have gone through all of my connections cleaning and using dielectric grease. .
My igntion switch failed was doing some weird things like that. Not matter of time, just how the switch was wiggled.
Did that year have a breaker or main fuse? Obviously fuse will not reset. I am not sure if breakers reset own after tinme.
Did all of the electric die when riding? Dash, lights, ect
Starting is turning over? Nothing is happening at all?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drinking more whiskey may help.

If it turns over and you've checked all of the connections, you're going to need the Harley Electrical Diagnostics Manual and a VOM to trouble shoot.

Or you can throw parts at it.
I'm figureing it's not going to be easy. I'll check the Coil with VOM to start. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can spray refrigerant of most any sort at each part to kool it off, then try to start it.
The bad part will come back online until it gets warm.
Start with triggers and coil.
Just to sit there and crank until the battery is dead and be towed home is just silly.
You are killing your starter, starter circuits, and battery life.
Are you sure you should be the one fixing this?
Good question on if I'm the one to be fixing her. I've only drained the batt. once. lesson learned. I figured I would put the VOM on the Coil to start. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That scooter uses a main power relay, so that the place to start.

Past that, you need to know more about what happens when it cuts off. Carry a VOM and see what loses power while its dead. Maybe a can of carb cleaner to see if it will run on that after it dies. Just spry it down the suck hole while cranking it.
I'll look into the Main Power Relay. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My igntion switch failed was doing some weird things like that. Not matter of time, just how the switch was wiggled.
Did that year have a breaker or main fuse? Obviously fuse will not reset. I am not sure if breakers reset own after tinme.
Did all of the electric die when riding? Dash, lights, ect
Starting is turning over? Nothing is happening at all?
The radio, lights, starter etc. all work just acts like there is no fuel or spark. She'll just crank and crank no spitting or sputtering.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Power relays are cheap. I replaced some on age and was going to do the rest but got distracted. Problem is how do you ride a bike that dies occasionaly? You can't trust it and can't trouble shoot until it happens.

Based on age I wouldn't be agaid to throw parts at it.

·
Banned
619 Posts
Here is what I find interesting, correct me if wrong.
Bike stops running, but lights are on. Bike cranks over but no spark.

So it is ignition circuit, or what is telling it to spark. I would have to look at a drawing, but I am kinda ruling out power relay. But I am not sure.

For year of bike you can probably find an electrical manual barely used and cheap on ebay. I got one new for $40 shipped. But you can do alot with the wiring diagram in your service manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Power relays are cheap. I replaced some on age and was going to do the rest but got distracted. Problem is how do you ride a bike that dies occasionaly? You can't trust it and can't trouble shoot until it happens.

Based on age I wouldn't be agaid to throw parts at it.
I figure I will throw a new Coil on it and ride it local for a little while.

·
Banned
619 Posts
That is what I would do. power relay is cheap too. But since it is cranking I am not sure relay, and would have to look at circuit diagram or flow chart in manual.

I am shaky on all the things that tell FI bike to fire coil.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
try to bypass your kill switch....slap the ignition switch around hard bunch of times...easy stuff to get that out of the way..then go on to the other component checks.....fixed my buddies 05 radio once...thay nobody could fix...slappin the ig switch around hard...he coudnt beleive it...he bought the beer

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
System relay is operated by the on-off handlebar switch and the e c m, it controls the power 2 the coils , fuel injectors and fuel pump, so if it's dying and the fuel pump is not running, I'd start there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts