V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, then again tonight on the way home.
Traveling along the Motorway/Freeway at 70/80 odd, the speedo freezes at whatever speed, needle stays up.
Horn doesn't work, Indicators/Turn signals won't function, Brake/Stop light won't function.
Once I stop, turn her off. Back on again ALL fine!
WTF?
:confused:

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
You gotta change to a route that doesn't pass through the Twilight Zone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Try cleaning the metal filings off the speed sensor and if this doesn't work replace it. There has been a lot of problems with these sensors.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have heard some wires get pinched under the tanks of some bikes.......maybe a cause???

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've never run across that problem. If it were me, I'd get out the HD service manual, find the wiring diagram and see exactly what all those things that won't work have in common.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BHBandit said:
Try cleaning the metal filings off the speed sensor and if this doesn't work replace it. There has been a lot of problems with these sensors.
I was thinking that myself too. But I can't figure out why the Stop light/Horn are affected also. (must look at the wiring diagram. :rolleyes: )
Get on to it as soon as I get a chance. Thing is, its not a persistant problem (yet) so if it IS just a dirty sensor I might not be able to tell if this the fix...............

Think I'll blame it on the goddam English weather :D

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Hey harleyhog

It just occurred to me that all the things you mention that don't work are affected (??) by the security system if you have one. That might be a clue.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harleyhog said:

Think I'll blame it on the goddam English weather :D
Looks like I was right about that! jeez
I keep the bike outside uncovered, (too much hassle to cover, use it too much) Looks like the rains got in at the Ignition Switch.
Happened again tonight.
When I stopped, I jiggled the switch and hey presto! All back on!!!
Oviously when driving, the vib's affect the switch. :rolleyes:

Luckily I've a spare one, Was expecting something like this to happen.
Might just tear it apart, grease it etc. and see if that works.

hey ho...........:D

Thanks for the replys guys.
doDOdoDOdoDOdoDOdoDOdoDOdoDOforlogical :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts