V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 05 Softail Springer. In reading about what my exhaust options are going to be, I'm confused.
My goal is to make the bike sound like a Harley without decreasing performance.
What do I do?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I think it is a foregone conclusion that 2 into 1 pipes will give you more performance, but I like keeping the original intent of the bike in tact.... so I'll agree with FatBoy on this one. However, I don't think the black tips are right for the Springer... need to go more retro, but I do like the true dual rineharts and they sound great... not repulsively loud and they can be quiet when you need them to be.

You need to at least go with a stage I upgrade with a download if you bike is EFI. This includes a high flow air filter and performance mufflers. True duals will include new headers. The download map is close, but not perfect. This bugged me.

If you plan on doing more that just the pipes and the air cleaner, I recommend doing the SERT from the get go since you can remap it as often as you like. Three canned downloads equals one SERT in price. You can buy the SERT at discounted prices online, but make sure it is brand new. They can only be assigned to one bike for life.

Try here:
http://www.zanottimotor.com/HarleyDavidson.html

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
It's really quite easy...if you're not joining the NHRA then your performance depends on 2 choices: a good high flow air cleaner (pic one you like the looks of...too numerous to suggest) and a set of high flow pipes WITH BAFFLES, injected you need a new "flash" for your ECM (available from your dealer or numerous bolt on tuners) or if you're carbed you'll need to jet your carb to work with your pipes (I say pipes because you have the same Springer I have and most likely want 2 into 2 pipes) the jetting suggestions are numerous here and you might wanna do a search to better understand all your options but there is PLENTY of info available here!!!

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
It's really quite easy...if you're not joining the NHRA then your performance depends on 2 choices: a good high flow air cleaner (pic one you like the looks of...too numerous to suggest) and a set of high flow pipes WITH BAFFLES, injected you need a new "flash" for your ECM (available from your dealer or numerous bolt on tuners) or if you're carbed you'll need to jet your carb to work with your pipes (I say pipes because you have the same Springer I have and most likely want 2 into 2 pipes) the jetting suggestions are numerous here and you might wanna do a search to better understand all your options but there is PLENTY of info available here!!!
I loved the Python 3s I had on my FXDWG.
Same thing for a Softail, and the sound and performance is very good.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Spoker said:
My goal is to make the bike sound like a Harley without decreasing performance.
What do I do?
As stated above. A good high flow air cleaner and a set of muffers or complete exhaust. No matter what you choose, you will not decrease performance from stock. You should see gains from 3% to 12% depending on which setup you decide on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
True Duals ... in Black

Does anyone know of True Duals that come in Black Ceramic? Thunderheader is coming out with them - but do any of the others offer that as an option?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Cycle Shack makes a nice set of turnout M Pipes for the Softail as well, had those on my '88 Evo FXSTC and they sounded real nice. They make them for the TC88, too.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Stay with the stock head pipes and go with some Samson Fishtails and a DFO.
I am running the stock head pipes, SE air cleaner,Stage1 download, DFO and
Samson Straight Fishtails with the Thunder baffles. Runs great and sounds
great. You can see it in the thread below..I had the Samson True Duals and
Took them off...they SUCK!

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72227

1 - 9 of 9 Posts