V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for a bike for a month or so and had decided to buy an 03 fat boy.
Then I rode a Road King.......and started thinking maybe thats what I wanted. A lot of guys start out on FB's but end up with a RK in a year or two. New FB 19,500, new RK 19700.

But now I've run across an 02 FB with 1700 miles, excellant condition, for 16,500. EFI, SE slip ons, intake kit, security system. Even if I wanted the RK, it seems that I shouldn't pass this by. Maybe ride it for a year or so and then move to a RK. So I'm looking for some advice and rationalzation from this HSG (Harley Support Group) what do you guys think?

Fire

·
Registered
603 Posts
$3,000 + sure would buy a lot of stuff, but depends on what you want, if you like the paint jobs.

JMS

·
Registered
129 Posts
Comparing the Road King to the Fat Boy is comparing two different styles of bike
Compare what comes standard on the FB and on the RK and the RK wins everytime , the RK is cheap in comparison !!

·
Registered
584 Posts
xrystl is correct. The RK is the best bike for the bang. Depends on what you want. If you are considering trading up down the road, save yourself the hassle and cut to the chase. Get the King.
However, if you get a new RK, YOU get to choose the color and options. You may not have an extra 3,000+ for goodies, but that comes with time.:D Just my .02. J.T.

·
963 Posts
OK Fire consider this,
The biggest difference here is the options that are standard, and the FB is a softail. With the road king you get the unbalanced twin cam. The fb will have the smoother balanced engine. So consider which style of engine along with the options. By the time you put on some nice bags and a comfy seat and windshield to match the king you are close to same $$. Why not consider a Heritage if you want the dressed up bike? There are plenty of them around.They are a softail all dressed up. Just my 2 cents-Rob

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
fire said:
I've been shopping for a bike for a month or so and had decided to buy an 03 fat boy.
Then I rode a Road King.......and started thinking maybe thats what I wanted. A lot of guys start out on FB's but end up with a RK in a year or two. New FB 19,500, new RK 19700.

But now I've run across an 02 FB with 1700 miles, excellant condition, for 16,500. EFI, SE slip ons, intake kit, security system. Even if I wanted the RK, it seems that I shouldn't pass this by. Maybe ride it for a year or so and then move to a RK. So I'm looking for some advice and rationalzation from this HSG (Harley Support Group) what do you guys think?

Fire
fire,

what type of riding are you most likely to do? TT (tavern to tavern) or touring? Probably some mix of both, no doubt. The type of riding you do (or plan to do) should influence your decision).

I actually ordered ar fatboy and while I was waiting for it to come in I started thinking that I'd need to add saddle bags to the FB (the RK has 'em). Check out how much HD wants for a set to good leather bags, don't forget the mounting hardware. You can pretty much forget about security with soft bags (the RK hard bags have locks). If you want to add a windshield to a FB, the dealer will hook you up for about $300 (the RK has one stock). My decision was to go with the RK, yours may vary.

I think the balanced vs non-balanced motor is a non-issue.

wyo

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I think the real over-riding factor is how much two-up riding you will do. Unless you have major back problems or wheigh as much as two people, the FB is very comfortable riding alone. I have a Fat Boy but will keep it until my wifes starts riding along more. Then I'd probably get a RK. I'd also agree that if you plan to take a lot with you every time you ride...look at the Heritage Softail and at that point you have given up the softail styling and may as well get the RK.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I owne both FLSTF and a FLRHI. If i had to owne just one bike it would be the road-king. In many ways i like riding the Fat-Boy better. The riding position is perfect and with Straight-Shots on it sounds so cool. However you just can't beat the versatility of the King.

·
Registered
312 Posts
logical said:
I think the real over-riding factor is how much two-up riding you will do. Unless you have major back problems or wheigh as much as two people, the FB is very comfortable riding alone.
:D Softail is still comfortable when you weigh as much as 2 people:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a fat boy but my other half has the road king i think the bikes are pretty similar, however when we ride together we always take the roadking., as far as being in the passenger seat you couldn't ask for a better more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Got to go with the Heritage crowd.....fully dressed it does the job of a bagger....pop of the bags, windshield passenger pad/backrest and it takes on a whole different personality - looks better than a FB. 2, two, 2 bikes in one. I'll skip the RK and go for the Ultra....WHEN I'M 60! (sorry)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts