V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have been looking for a reason to "not" join the AMA then check this story out.

Health Care Denied
Employer refuses to cover motorcycle-related injuries

Imagine you went to work one day, and your boss handed you a memo that said your employer, to protect the benefits of “responsible” employees, would no longer cover motorcycle-related injuries under the company’s health insurance?

Plus, the company wouldn’t make good on its employee life insurance policy if you were killed in a motorcycle crash.

You’d still be covered if you did almost anything else: bungee jumping, skydiving, scuba diving, skiing. Just not on your motorcycle.

Outrageous?

We think so. But that’s exactly what happened one day this summer to hundreds of workers at the American Coal Company mine in Galatia, Illinois.

The company notified them that coverage was being terminated immediately—without warning—on any motorcycle-related injury to employees or their dependents.

That means if a worker is injured riding a legally licensed motorcycle on the street, there’s no medical coverage.
Even if the injury is caused by another driver, the rider could lose. He’d be entirely dependent on the other driver’s insurance coverage. And these days, medical bills can quickly overwhelm minimum-coverage policies—if the other driver even has insurance.

But it goes beyond that. If the worker has a kid who’s injured riding a minibike in the back yard, that’s not covered. If the worker’s spouse is hurt while riding, that’s not covered. Any injury could wipe out the family’s finances.-------><-read_more->

It should be a companies right to regulate what we do while not at work. Just think,,, the day may not be far off that Insurance companies and our place of employment may be able to control what we eat to save health care costs for the company from us stupid employees that eat too much sugar or bacon and eggs.

"AMA"_Join_Today_
{salute(

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
You mean you didn't know that the next planned raise in health care premiums was going to be over weight? If you don't know here is your wake up call. The next planned life insurance and health coverage rates are on the way that will charge you more if you are over weight for your size. If they charge more for smokers then this shouldn't sound like an outrageous claim.

While I think that the people of this company should sue, I don't think their lawsuit will hold water. Professional athletes are not allowed to ride motorcycles while under contract. I suppose this company is using the same bogus rules. The, "If you want to work for me, you do what I say." rule. I don't agree with it, but they don't have to work for that company either and I know I wouldn't. The next obvious choice would be to drop their health insurance program and take out their own coverage. Some might gasp at this thought, but as years progress companies are starting to raise premiums higher and higher to the point you will eventually be paying 100% of the policy anyway. If they want coverage and still want to ride a bike a plan that has a 1000 deductiable would be reasonable and would cover them should something happen while on a bike.

I think I would stick to the NAH NAH NAH NAH, NAH NAH NAH NAH, HEY HEY HEY, GOODBYE :nfu2:, to that company.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Sounds like a lawyer/lawyers will be making some money soon over this brilliant display of logic.

It is more than a little ironical that a coal mine, an extremely dangerous occupation to begin with, comes up with some limits on their employees after hours activities, based on of all things, safety! :huh:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Some insurance companies won't even cover recreational sports: mountain biking, rock climbing, etc.

My health insurance won't act as "primary" in any auto-related accidents; motorcycle or car. I found out in September that my Progressive motorcycle insurance covers medical for passengers and people I run down, but not myself (they forgot to mention I opt for additional coverage). For some strange reason my auto insurance on my car is likely going to cover the medical bills from my motorcycle accident :wacko:

I don't see how the AMA would help? Its a decision to keep premiums from increasing. If you mandate coverage, premiums increase across the board. If I'm the one riding the motorcycle, I should be given the decision to pay extra for additional coverage. If its someone else riding, why does my premium have to increase?

Edit->I just noticed the life insurance part. That would mean you'd have to invest in a second policy (which many people do anyhow). hmmm...

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
The same thing happened at Sturm-Ruger Company within the past ten years. In this case, if the Coal Mine doesn't suffocate you, give you black lung or crush you in a cave-in, the company wants to make sure that you are acting safely when on your own time.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
dwarthog said:
Sounds like a lawyer/lawyers will be making some money soon over this brilliant display of logic.

It is more than a little ironical that a coal mine, an extremely dangerous occupation to begin with, comes up with some limits on their employees after hours activities, based on of all things, safety! :huh:
If you are referring to lawyers being able to make money on this company over them telling what they will cover benefits wise then refer to the first part of my comment. Their lawsuit won't hold water. A company can or has the right not to offer you benefits of any kind. It is your responsibility to cover your own arse at all times. If you don't like what a company does then you can do as I stated I would do and that is move on. I may not like what the company did, but a company can do what it wants within the boundaries of the law and when it comes to benefits and options they have the right to not provide you anything. Just like they have the right to say you can not work for them if you smoke. Some companies have that bylaw now and force their workers to go take a test every so often if they think you have even been smoking in your own home. This was on 20/20. They fire you just as they fire someone who is on non-prescription drugs if the results show you have been smoking and the machine can detect up to 4 months back. So once again, lawyers won't make any headway in a case of forcing (yes even the coal mines) a company to provide benefits of any kind.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Jams or anyone else,

I slept in late and I'm still a bit grogy, but could tell me why this action by a coal company would have anything to do with joining AMA?

Thanks,
sleepy Dennis E.

·
Registered
935 Posts
deisenbraun said:
Jams or anyone else,

I slept in late and I'm still a bit grogy, but could tell me why this action by a coal company would have anything to do with joining AMA?

Thanks,
sleepy Dennis E.
If you were a member you too could have read the article from their member's only area???

I think it similar to someone mentioning a news article involving guns, you are legally obligated to link to the NRA sign up page %[email protected]

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would not be surprised if there are other activities that would yield no coverage as well, insurance premiums have skyrocketed and employers are trying to contain costs. I am close to dropping coverage in my business completely having already increased deductables and co-pays, and it is still increasing by double-digits even though I am in a low risk business.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
sthorp said:
I would not be surprised if there are other activities that would yield no coverage as well, insurance premiums have skyrocketed and employers are trying to contain costs. I am close to dropping coverage in my business completely having already increased deductables and co-pays, and it is still increasing by double-digits even though I am in a low risk business.
Isn't part of the problem for your costs being so high, just being in Minnesota?

·
Registered
901 Posts
The antibiotics that you need for that raging case of the clap you got from banging the boss's wife ought to be covered, though, right?? Especially if you then pass it on to his daughter.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
deisenbraun,

It was a tongue in cheek way to say that there is no other organization out there that is fighting to protect your rights to ride a motorcycle and is fighting so that it remains affordable.

Last time I looked my medical insurance is not free. I pay for it. The company I work for deducts the premium every payday to purchase "my share" of the cost to participate in a "group plan."

What I do on my own time is my own business. If I want to ride a motorcycle with or without a helmet, eat Twinkies or what ever I do it is my business. If my kids ride a dirt bike or participate in risky activities like skateboarding - high school football or to go hunting with me and happen to get hurt, the insurance that I am paying for should cover any accidents.

It is my decision -- not the company's.
Frivolous lawsuits with no caps in place are the cause of this problem not from my choice of riding a motorcycle.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Professional athletes are not allowed to ride motorcycles while under contract.
This is true for most professional sports (like Football and baseball), bot not all. Its also not a part of their health/life insurance. Its part of their contract to not partisipate in excessively dangerous activities. Although alot of players do ride, they just have a clause in their contract for it.

As for how legal it is for the company to do so, unless they have a clause in the insurance policy that the employees signed, they do not have the right to change the terms of the insurance contract without proper notice. It is also not an "effective immediately" type change. It can only be done when the policy is renewed. This gives the workers the option to take it or leave it.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Jams said:
deisenbraun,

It was a tongue in cheek way to say that there is no other organization out there that is fighting to protect your rights to ride a motorcycle and is fighting so that it remains affordable.
Jams,

Ok, got it now, thanks. I'm more awake now too!

Dennis E.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Jams said:
deisenbraun,

Last time I looked my medical insurance is not free. I pay for it. The company I work for deducts the premium every payday to purchase "my share" of the cost to participate in a "group plan."

What I do on my own time is my own business. If I want to ride a motorcycle with or without a helmet, eat Twinkies or what ever I do it is my business. If my kids ride a dirt bike or participate in risky activities like skateboarding - high school football or to go hunting with me and happen to get hurt, the insurance that I am paying for should cover any accidents.

It is my decision -- not the company's.
Frivolous lawsuits with no caps in place are the cause of this problem not from my choice of riding a motorcycle.
No matter what premium you pay, if you pay it through your "Companies" plan as you stated they can dictate what is and what is not covered. They do this since they are the ones negotiating the rates for you. If you have your own plan that you pay for not attached to a company and you negotiate it in a way that you can do whatever you want and be covered then that is what you get. Once again, a company is under no obligation to cover you whatsoever. More and more people are finally opening their eyes to this and do what I have been doing for years and that is getting outside additional coverage. You can say all you want, If I pay they will pay. Not so when you are working for someone and they are dictating what will be covered. Always remember that ultimately are responsible for your own coverage. Always get the most you can afford at a reasonable rate.

I may not like it that a company can do that, but I know if I had my own business and I was doing all the leg work to get the cheapest rates for coverage and the insurance company offered me a huge discount for certain stipulations I would implement the same regulations as any company would. Remember that you work for them and not vice versa. If you buy controlling interest in the company so you can make decisions then you can dictate everyone is covered no matter what.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
petrock said:
This is true for most professional sports (like Football and baseball), bot not all. Its also not a part of their health/life insurance. Its part of their contract to not partisipate in excessively dangerous activities. Although alot of players do ride, they just have a clause in their contract for it.

As for how legal it is for the company to do so, unless they have a clause in the insurance policy that the employees signed, they do not have the right to change the terms of the insurance contract without proper notice. It is also not an "effective immediately" type change. It can only be done when the policy is renewed. This gives the workers the option to take it or leave it.
I realize that. But most companies now have a document that you sign upon employment that states, "These policies can be changed at the disgression of the company." Most policies do go for a 1 year term, but if you signed something like was aforementioned then all bets are off. Once again, I don't agree with it but that is the world we live in. Always have additional coverage. I can't state that enough.

My friend that lost his wife last year knows exactly what is it like to loose someone and he knew just what I did, have plenty of "TERM LIFE" insurance on your own policy. He did and it won't bring back his wife, but it did help to ensure a future for his baby girl.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
dwarthog said:
Isn't part of the problem for your costs being so high, just being in Minnesota?
Definately, the State dictates many coverages that are expensive.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FatbOy,
What you say has a plenty of credence and I would probably look at the situation the same if it was my company.
What is missing in the article is if that Coal company is self insured or not.
If they are just buying into a Blue Cross plan or something like that then that does not explain why the discrimination policy with what is basically a generic plan made to fit any company.
Considering the health and personal safety risks their industry demands of their employees it is ludicrous that they would trying to dictate what folks and family members did on their free time.
What will be interesting is when some company wants to deny someone medical insurance due to their risky sexual persuasion. AIDS is right up there with cancer as far as cost of treatment etc.

Second point is why can't we all pool together and buy into a plan that covers the lifestyle we choose instead of being limited to what ever policy our employers buy. Say the company buys Blue Cross but I want Purple Cross which insures motorcyclists. I can't take the money I contribute as well as what my company pays as an employment perk and buy Purple cross can I?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts