V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not familer with the site but why would they sue him for selling used bikes. I could understand if he was using the logo but I don't think he would need that to sell used bikes.:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe there just protecting there name.alot of people are selling daytec frames with s&s motors and cheap sheetmetal and selling it as harley fatboy or whatever.I find it very misleading.ask anyone who has spent the time in research & development of there product if they would permit someone to sell a cheap knockoff using there name.
see how fast jesse james wold be all over you if you made exhaust pipes & sold them as west coast chopper hell bent pipes.well just my 2cents

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PHATBOY said:
I believe there just protecting there name.alot of people are selling daytec frames with s&s motors and cheap sheetmetal and selling it as harley fatboy or whatever.I find it very misleading.ask anyone who has spent the time in research & development of there product if they would permit someone to sell a cheap knockoff using there name.
see how fast jesse james wold be all over you if you made exhaust pipes & sold them as west coast chopper hell bent pipes.well just my 2cents
Greetings,

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Of course, the end result of that thought is that this site would not have the right to exist by virtue of it's name.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
So if I drop a Jasper engine into my Chevy I can no longer sell it as a Chevy. As I mentioned in my previous post I am not familer with that site so I am not totally sure what he was doing. If he was building a bike from ground up using all kinds of parts and then calling them Harley's then maybe you have a point.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
In another Ebay auction awhile back Harley Davidson made Ebay cancell an auction because of the same thing. In letters back and forth Harley legal department said that there must be three things that constitute selling it as a Harley....Harley serial numbers on the frame, engine and transmission. So with different cases or frame it couldn't be advertised by this guy as a Harley. The victims point was that it was registered as a Harley in his state. But that didn't matter to their legal department. At first I didn't like hearing this but I can see how it would be mis-representing it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My common sense tells me if it aint got a Harley frame or a Harley motor, it aint a Harley. He shut the site down before I could see what he was actually selling.

Hmmm... this reminds me of a story...

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
You know, the more that I think about it the more I can see both sides. Let's say that you wanted to put a six speed transmission on your bike. But instead of putting a gearset you found a special price deal on a complete transmission. So you installed it. You liked it and sold your other one. Now, technically you don't own a harley although it's registered as one and all you did was install a six speed. Now that's something to think about.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hemmmm! If you ride a Harley and wear BMW leather gloves, does that make you a RUB! LOL.

I too have no idea what this site was selling, but having been in business I can tell you that you have to protect your good name from others who want to be associated in some way with your company. Having others wanting to incorporate your name into their products may seem like a kind of flattery but it is far from it.
Firstly, as a corporation or company you have no control over the quality of the other guys products and even what those products are. I’m sure anyone here that can remember the sixties knows about the cheap knock-off products that bore the Harley-Davidson name that were in no way associated with that company.
Secondly,Harley spends a lot of money in name recognition and wants to ensure that their product is guaranteed to meet their standards and of course they want you to shop only at authorized dealers.

It’s like I used to tell the wrestlers that worked for me in the Pacific Wrestling Federation, if you want to work for me then you can’t work for my competition. If I spend thousands of dollars promoting your talents what makes you think I would stand by and watch you wrestle for my competitor who has spent nothing in promoting you and is essentially riding for free on my dime. That’s just business. Harley has a right to protect it’s name and to decide how it’s products are sold.

Like some others have said if you put a Chevy engine into a Jaguar you can no longer represent that vehicle as a Jaguar. The same is true in a Harley. Replace the frame, transmission or engine with non Harley parts, then it is no longer by definition a Harley Davidson.
Just my 2cents worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts