V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to get my primary finished on my 1985 fxrs, but I've been fighting with the primary chain setup. I originally bought a 76 link chain which is standard for that bike, but it was way to tight without the tensioner even touching it. So I bought an 82 link chain, and now that's way to big. The clutch is for late model 1984 fxr and has 37 teeth(wet clutch) and the compensating sprocket has 24 teeth. Any reccomendations?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
24/37 uses a 76 pitch chain.

Recount your teeth and chain links, something is off. Sounds like you have an extra tooth somewhere.
Recounted both clutch and sprocket and it's 24/37. I attached pictures to see what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

· 4FXRS
21 Posts
I think the late 84 clutch (chain final drive) and the 85 clutch (belt final drive) are different - the ring gear placement on the hub is different. (I ran into this issue with my 84 when my ring gear started slipping and I had to find a new clutch basket.)

This should not affect the primary chain, but may cause starter issues. Take some measurements to be sure before you bolt it together...

J.R.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
23,098 Posts
I think the late 84 clutch (chain final drive) and the 85 clutch (belt final drive) are different - the ring gear placement on the hub is different. (I ran into this issue with my 84 when my ring gear started slipping and I had to find a new clutch basket.)

This should not affect the primary chain, but may cause starter issues. Take some measurements to be sure before you bolt it together...

J.R.

Good point. The late 84 basket is an odd ball. Not sure what's different. But on the trans/primary, the mating line is further to the right. And they use different primary bearings and different main shafts.

So there could be an alignment issue.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

J.R.

What year clutch basket did you end up running and should I use the 1985 starter gear or different year?

· 4FXRS
21 Posts
What year clutch basket did you end up running and should I use the 1985 starter gear or different year?
I had to run the late 84 clutch basket in my 84 chain final drive bike. If you have your original 85 belt drive basket - look where the starter ring gear is. Compare them side by side.

If I find time, probably over the weekend, I will post some measurements.

The belt and chain baskets do not interchange because of starter issues.

I got a belt basket on eBay not knowing they were different, and it would not work with the late 84 primary drive and cases.

Can it work? Maybe, but I did not want to replace a lot of components.

J.R.

· 4FXRS
21 Posts
Here are some late 84 images I found - from when I was looking for a replacement because my ring gear was slipping on the hub! (Plus a pic of my late 84.)

J.R.

· 4FXRS
21 Posts
Here is a pic of my late 84 clutch, and my 84!

It was a bummer when the ring gear started slipping - and it was difficult finding a late 84 clutch.

J.R.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.