V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am getting my Softail Standard custom painted and I need to take the front fender, tank, oil reservoir and rear fender off the bike.
I am willing to do it myself but just to make an educated decision I called my dealer.
He asked me the equivalent of 800 USDollars to do it.
He said that this is very complicated and just to take out the oil reservoir he needs to remove the electric starter (the service manual does not talk of removing the starter in order to remove the oil reservoir.:confused:

So in view of the fact that I'll be spending about 1500 bucks for the paint job itself I have kind of decided I'll do it in house and save myself the 800 bucks. The only thing that seems a bit tricky is the removal of the oil lines (special tools are apparently required).

Is this stripping project feasible with average to good mechanical skills or should I live the dealer put his hands on my bike (and wallet?)

Thanks
Ciao

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I encountered a similar issue, i'e' high cost to r&r some parts on my car, so i too did it myself. Scratched some of it pretty good during the install. Really fubar. I think some dealers might price the risk involved?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just to give you an idea, here in California at my local HD, I had my tank and fenders removed and had another tank and fenders installed, and they charged me $340.00, total. But then again, it didn't involve the oil res. I can't imagin in costs another $400+ just for the oil res.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.