V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd try posting a pic from the York Open House. It could very well be that you can only take pictures at the factory during Open House as Harley Joel said in another thread. I've only been there twice and both times during Open House and pics were OK then. Shame they don't allow it all the time if that's the case.

Do you think this is the first time a "hog" gets off the ground and earns its wings?

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a silver & black Heritage coming in January. Probably too soon to be mine??? Talk about twisting a thorn in my side.......Ahhhhh!

·
Registered
381 Posts
What I found neat was they use two different build principals. The softails go from station to station and the people do their thing and off it goes. The bagger line has the people follow each bike from station to station from beginning to end. That would seem (to me at least) the better of the two as you wouldn't get that bored and possibly quality control would be better.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Do they still have the guy at end of line that takes them into a booth, cranks them up, check the lights, etc. and run it up to about 50 MPH? WHAT A JOB, HUH?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they still got that guy! My thoughts were the same on what a job! I also took a pic of him,but it didn't come out. As you can tell by my photos the camera was puke. I had taken some of the "robot" wielders and buffers too that were scrap. I have more,but don't want to piss anybody off by taking up too much space.

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
claaayton:
I believe they run all year except holidays and NO Saturdays I think too. I could be wrong though and you might want to check before making the trip. I got my info from searching "York Pa" and getting into a Chamber of Commerce site I think that was offering other tours in the area as well. I'm sorry but I don't have the phone number anymore.

NCFatBoy:
That's an excellant idea,but unfortunately for me, I'm pretty much brain dead when it comes to these computers. I can only do basic stuff and never really learned too much. Just scanning my photos and converting to jpeg was a trip! I keep threatening to take some courses to learn these boxs,but doing 12 hour night shifts doesn't give me much time. If I get a chance maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Ride safe

Mister Breeze

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Factory tours are pretty much available year round but as stated above, check before you make the trip. I went to Milwaukee engine plant in 1990 and then York assembly in 1996. Pretty cool stuff to see. Amazing to see the computer robotic machines manufacture gears and stuff at the engine plant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts