V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new stretch tank came in. The pics below are of the cut out area where the seat goes, and I am pretty sure this area will be exposed. Pretty crappy job if you ask me. I can clean it up and make it look nice, but will I cause it to leak when I do this, I can always braze it, but shouldnt ya get a little more for your money than this?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another shot

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Misguided,

That sure as sh!t don't look like the picture in the ad you posted.

Give 'em hell.

wyo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah that's more or less what mine looked like when I got it. It's a rough piece of crap. But the lady that painted it for me built up the back of it (it was CROOKED) with puddy and made it smooth and painted right over it and now it looks great!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
You will need to build it up, and during this process you can dimenish the gap between the tank and your seat.

I would prefer to use Lead Solder to build up the tank area and smooth it out, but "bondo" will always work...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JFScheck said:
You will need to build it up, and during this process you can dimenish the gap between the tank and your seat.

I would prefer to use Lead Solder to build up the tank area and smooth it out, but "bondo" will always work...
normal lead soder? I have a map gas torch set, that should work with lead solder?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
You will want to use "AutoBody Lead" which does not have as much (or any?) flux inside of the lead.

You can pruchase this lead at any auto-body repair store. As for the equipment to apply it, your set! The torch will work fine, just be careful not to heat the tank too much or you can distort it. If you work slow and carefully, it will work out great!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Is that how they sell all thier "finished" products? For the money dished out for the tank, you would think it be "flawless" and ready to paint? Seems like someone is getting fu(ked:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah well... when I got my "finished product" it wasn't even sealed! They had packwelded it but never sealed the seams! I paid nearly $400 for the thing... you'd think it would not leak anyway... definately make sure you pressure test the thing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yo Misguided, that tank looks gorgeous compared to one I did a couple weeks ago! It was a new aftermarket flatside set that was atrocious. I actually spent twice as much time doing the bodywork than I did doing the custom paint. Unfortunately for me I quoted him a price before I saw it:( Some of these tanks come through ok and others are crap. If that is all that is messed up with your tank, you're doing well. Keep us up to date on your project!
Sheepboy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts