V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I've used super fine steel wool has to be (0000) since I've started riding. Chrome is WAY harder than the wool its (it's almost like a blob a steel hairs) and absolutely will not scratch chrome unless the chrome is already trashed. I've revived soooo many rusty chrome parts I cant even count.... it does wonders for taking off surface rust, but once rust is pitted or chipped its over, you gotta stay on top of it constantly.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Been My Experience 0000 steel wool will leave scratches... even with Oil!!
Tin Foil Won't.. Neither will commercial polishing products.

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
565 Posts
@Racepres

I've never owned a new piece of chrome so I suppose I wouldn't have noticed scratches to begin with. However, I think the QUALITY of chrome has a lot to do with it. Not all chrome is equal.

The ultra fine steel wool works well to remove oxidation off aluminum as well, but if you use it on a polished surface it will scratch/dull it.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
FOAD
260 Posts
I have been using 0000 steel wool for years and years and never had a problem and if you can see the scratches it makes then stop getting that close and ride the bloody bike.
Must be a lot of show ponies owning FXR's who don't ride. :whistle:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've heard lots and lots of people talk about using 0000 steel wool on chrome, so it must be doable. Still, bringing myself to actually doing it? Scary to say the least. I've also heard many discuss using glass cleaner on chrome.

About a quart of acetone was less than $5 at the hardware store yesterday. (Haven't used it yet though). I'll hit it with that a bit later today. Hopefully that will do the trick.

If not,... I'm planning on renting a steam cleaner to tackle the wheels with, this weekend. There are some stains, likely from old brake fluid, that has been there since before purchase. I'm hoping some steam will help with those.

If needed, I'll hit the oil drip on the exhaust with it to see if it has any effect.

I'll use abrasives as a last resort.

Last I heard, we are expecting a lot of rain, so a good deep cleaning, waxing, and polishing may be a good plan for the weekend.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I have been using 0000 steel wool for years and years and never had a problem and if you can see the scratches it makes then stop getting that close and ride the bloody bike.
Good Jab... Bravo... what does your FXR do in the 1/4

·
not sober all the time
5,489 Posts
As I mentioned above, get some S100 polishing soap. Been using it for 15 years on my Road King and have yet to see any damage from it. I strongly recommend it before trying steel wool or any other type of abrasive on chrome. I thought the nacelle on my Road King had corrosion on it about a year after I bought it. I showed a guy at the dealership and he pointed to the S100. He told me to try that and if it didin't take care of it, he'd replace the nacelle. I didn't need to bring it back after using the S100.

Wash the part with soap and water to remove and dust, dirt, grit, etc. Rinse, then use the polishing soap as directed. When I rinse the polishing soap off, water beads up on the chrome like it's been waxed but the product doesn't have any wax or oily properties to it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wouldn't use a steam cleaner! You talking about a hot pressure washer? Too much pressure and scalding hot water isn't good. It'll get into places you don't want it to. Bearings, switches, electronics, etc. Just hand wash your bike and use a soft brush to get into those areas your wash mitt can't reach. That stuff on you pipe looks like burned oil. Easy to get off. Don't use anything abrasive on the chrome.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I wouldn't use a steam cleaner! You talking about a hot pressure washer? Too much pressure and scalding hot water isn't good. It'll get into places you don't want it to. Bearings, switches, electronics, etc. Just hand wash your bike and use a soft brush to get into those areas your wash mitt can't reach. That stuff on you pipe looks like burned oil. Easy to get off. Don't use anything abrasive on the chrome.
A steam cleaner is NOT a pressure washer. It will not hurt chrome. It's what my wheels need.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Steel wool will scratch chrome no matter what you lubricate it with, aluminum foil will not. Pepsi and Coke have got a strong "acid" quality to it that may eat the stain, I know it eats rust like no other, absolutely the best and easiest at cleaning rust off chrome with aluminum foil as a scrubber. But when it doesn't "bubble" anymore it's done.

·
FOAD
260 Posts
Good Jab... Bravo... what does your FXR do in the 1/4
I hate drag racing. Always have and always will and that means all forms of drag racing
So asking what my bike does in the 1/4 mile means nothing to me and never will.
I ride my bike on the road with my mates or all alone. (author unknown)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I hate drag racing. Always have and always will and that means all forms of drag racing
So asking what my bike does in the 1/4 mile means nothing to me and never will.
I ride my bike on the road with my mates or all alone. (author unknown)
So... you ride to the "show"???

·
FOAD
260 Posts
So... you ride to the "show"???
I don't go to bike shows either as I am not interested in overpriced toys that don't get ridden.
Doesn't anyone just ride their bike to enjoy riding anymore in the USA?
I would not think so but based on your responses you must like to show off at drag races and bike shows.
I don't do either of those things. I might have gone to a few shows when I was younger for beer & wet tshirt contests but those kind of shows rarely happen anymore.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I don't go to bike shows either as I am not interested in overpriced toys that don't get ridden.
Doesn't anyone just ride their bike to enjoy riding anymore in the USA?
I would not think so but based on your responses you must like to show off at drag races and bike shows.
I don't do either of those things. I might have gone to a few shows when I was younger for beer & wet tshirt contests but those kind of shows rarely happen anymore.
Enjoy yerself... You are obviously a much more Hard Core Rider than anyone I know..Me and my Mates will be Putting around the Country side... smelling the Crops grow... and yes... gasp.... stopping at any Watering Hole we wish to..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nope, nobody in the U.S. rides for fun.
Why don't you keep your little pissing argument between you and Pres and try not to include the rest of the country.
There's always one in the crowd......must be Jax Teller, vest and all........

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
20200524_142543.jpg
Went with the Acetone option, using an old sock and some q-tips.

It didn't just wipe of easily, but rather took some buffing. Rubbing with the little stick covered in cotton on the Q-tip and soaked in Acetone was required on the most stubborn areas. Was maybe an hour and a half worth of work.

One can see a little haze around where the drop used to be, which actually remains a bit shinier than around where it was. I'll hit the whole pipe with some polish and see where that takes it.

I'm happy with the results so far though. At the very least, I no longer have a brown stripe on the chrome.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts