V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed this last night.

Apparently after having some leaks repaired, she got ridden with some type of fluid on the new Thunderheader.

Is it fixable, and if so.... what steps do I need to take and what to use? Can I get the shine back?

20200520_190630.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try Acetone. On a rag and scrape with your fingernail. I also use Simichrome Polish, Blue Magic Metal Polish, and Blue Job. The Blue Magic contains ammonia. It's strong stuff, pat some on and let it sit for a few minutes. I've found the acetone works great for cooked on tar and boot rubber.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
If you don't have any steel wool take some tin foil, crumpled and balled up loosely, wet in water and scrub with that.
^^ Actually kicks the **** out of Steel wool... no matter how fine... Steel wool scratches...Bad.. Last resort...for things like Rust along with wd-40...can't beat it...
For stuff like shown ... Chemicals first... Acetone..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. I was worried. I'll stop for steel wool on the way home from work. I probably ought to keep some around.

If I understand right, just wet with water and lightly scrub? Then move on to some of the cleaners and polishes mentioned, if the wool and water doesn't get it.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still pretty new to all this. I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I would never use steel wool on chrome, no matter how fine. The name says it all, it's "steel". It will scratch,,, real fine scratches and won't look the same as the surrounding areas.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I would never use steel wool on chrome, no matter how fine. The name says it all, it's "steel". It will scratch,,, real fine scratches and won't look the same as the surrounding areas.
Never say Never... I use it all the time... on Rust and such... Light rust gets Tinfoil, heavier gets 0000 Steel wool... both get Sprayed with WD-40 ... The Very Best Use of WD-40 IMO...

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Try some oven cleaner. All steel wool scratches, extra fine just makes extra fine scratches. Use the steel wool as a last choice and lube it with WD-40 or other oil.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Get the pipe hot and try wiping with a cotton cloth, sometimes a little heat will soften it up and you can get most of it off this way. Then use some chrome polish first, if that does not work use the more agressive removal methods, foil, then fine steel wool.

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
Use Easy Off oven cleaner not the store brand. Leave on over night if you buy the 5 minute EO and read the directions it says best if left on overnight.duh what? It removes tar and boot marks too.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
564 Posts
I've used super fine steel wool has to be (0000) since I've started riding. Chrome is WAY harder than the wool its (it's almost like a blob a steel hairs) and absolutely will not scratch chrome unless the chrome is already trashed. I've revived soooo many rusty chrome parts I cant even count.... it does wonders for taking off surface rust, but once rust is pitted or chipped its over, you gotta stay on top of it constantly.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts