V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is my first Harley (Wide Glide) , never ridden or rented one, and I don't even have it yet, I have no idea how loud the horn is. Is the stock horn on the Wide Glide adequate -- is it loud enough? :confused:

I've never been able to accept some lame AS* horn because when I need to use it , I want it to be heard.

If the stock horn isn't that good do you have any suggestions please.

Thanks

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
All of HD's horns are pretty "sissyish". I think the horn in my Saturn is alot louder!

There are several companies that make Air Horns for the bike. Very loud. The only thing I don't like about the setup is that it requires an air compressor (included) and it must be mounted somewhere on the bike.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
For some reason, mine stopped working and I need to fix it. When it did work though, it seemed loud enough....not too bad at all.

Tony:cool:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
cox9000,

If you're not satisfied with the horn when you get your sled, HD makes a louderhigh output horn

There are also many aftermarket options including airhorns

wyo

ps - I just scream real loud like this " F*CKIN' IDIOT CAGER........" Now you try it :D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I was actually surprised the horn was as loud as it was. More than adequate.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried your idea wyodude -- It feels good. Maybe I'll mount a huge MEGAPHONE and use it more than I have to HA!

Seriously, I do need to check into a real loud horn that can be heard over all the other noise cagers make (like their stereo systems blasting). The cagers are already making comments like, "I didn't see the biker". So I need loud pipes and a loud horn to ride safely in this concrete jungle.

Thanks for everybodys input.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
cox9000,

I have SEII slip ons on my RK. I ride (1) the GW Parkway, (I-66), the Fairfax County Parkway, etc frequently. My pipes are not the loudest, but loud enough that cagers can hear me (behind them) and they often move out of the way. I've only had to use my horn a few times to get the attention of inattentive cagers merging into my lane. For as bad as the traffic is around here, I've been treated better by fellow motorists when I'm on my bike than when I'm in my F250. Go figure.

wyo

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know wyodude I'd have to agree with you on how I'm treated when I ride my bike. Overall (as you've already stated) I get more courtesy when I'm on my bike than when I'm in my truck. I don't know if it's because I drive (ride) more cautious when I'm on my bike or what it is exactly. When I'm in my truck I don't worry about being seen or if they can hear me or even if my horn can be heard, but when I'm on my bike I think about the previous 3 plus many others.
Sounds like we're neighbors since you mentioned the parkway and 66. I'm sure you've seen your share of nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts