V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to 88ci Harleys and my front cylinder appears to be warmer and stronger at idle at the exhaust tip than the back cylinder. It has 15k miles and I was told by the previous owner (trade-in) that it was HD maintained. Is this normal or should I be pulling plugs and looking for what?? Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Unless you're running true duals, the right (what you're calling front) pipe is also connected to the rear cylinder via the crossover. It gets output from both cylinders. The left pipe is pretty much just the rear cylinder. All the touring bikes with crossover pipes have more exhaust coming out on the right side than the left.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a relief chopperdude. That makes perfect sense. As I stated I am new to HD and all of my previous metric bikes were true dual exhaust. I pulled the plugs tonight and they looked normal with a small amount of black carbon. They have been in there for at least 5k miles. I am going to change them anyway.

It took me several years to get the wife let me pop for a HD. I got this creampuff for 14500.00 and love every moment I am on it. I wanted a Heritage Softail but this one came along and i am so happy with the bagger.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its called scavenger effect. Two cylinders on one pipe, when one pipe is exhausting it provides vacuum to assist the other exhaust. Sort of. The left pipe is mainly for looks. Some guys have a big problem with only one pipe, but it does give you better performance. IMO 2-1 one looks best on baggers cause you don't notice it so much. Also the engine stands out alot more, the crossover is lower on 2-1.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
rustyrun said:
I wanted a Heritage Softail but this one came along and i am so happy with the bagger.
You'll be glad you got the bagger...I've had both & like the bagger better for many reasons.:brows:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.