V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like a Street Bob or a Super Glide than a Sportster? I see the weight is about 80 pounds more and the tire sizes are not that different.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
To me, no. I have a Springer and a Sporty. I have no problems with either one.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am about to cross the 1000 mile mark this week on my XL. I have never tipped it over. What would one do if they ever tipped over a big bike? Go find help to right it?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Actually, there's a technique to getting a big bike back up on its wheels. You put your back against the seat and then kind of lean into it and stand up (while holding it). I have seen a very small lady get an FLH upright by doing this. Can I do it? Not very well - but, thankfully, I've not had a lot of practice.
I do know it hurts your back a lot less than the "grab and pray" method when you see one falling over.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
It really depends on experience and your bike

If you are a new rider then something lighter makes a lot of sense. If you have experience then it depends on your comfort and the bike. My Ducati weighs just over 400lbs and is harder to handle at slow speeds than my 650lb BMW RT. At slow speeds things like geometry and weight allocation take over (think rake and trail) regarding ease of handling. At quicker speeds the same is true but weight allocation is less of a player.
Have you sat on or ridden both bikes? (Does HD allow test rides?).

james
'04 BMW R1150RT
'99 Ducati 900 Supersport

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard there was a trick to it. You can lift a lot of weight with your legs. Id like to hear from someone who can do it. I hope not to need the info, but one day its gonna happen. The wind will catch it or some unforseen event will leave it horizontal.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I am about to cross the 1000 mile mark this week on my XL. I have never tipped it over. What would one do if they ever tipped over a big bike? Go find help to right it?
The "Ride Like A Pro" series is pretty good at showing the proper technique.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
551 Posts
Personally, I think it is harder to ride a Sporty than a Big Twin. I have owned an Ironhead, Superglide and a Roadster, and have been riding for 30 years. The high center of gravity of the Sporty is noticeable to me. By harder to ride, I mean you have to pay attention in high speed curves, and the like. I recently test rode a Road King, and found it to be the easiest, most comfortable bike I've ever been on. It felt like an easy chair going inot the turns. YMMV.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jgrant said:
If you are a new rider then something lighter makes a lot of sense. If you have experience then it depends on your comfort and the bike. My Ducati weighs just over 400lbs and is harder to handle at slow speeds than my 650lb BMW RT. At slow speeds things like geometry and weight allocation take over (think rake and trail) regarding ease of handling. At quicker speeds the same is true but weight allocation is less of a player.
Have you sat on or ridden both bikes? (Does HD allow test rides?).

james
'04 BMW R1150RT
I dont really have much issue riding my XL. I see I become more "at ease" as each day passes. Mo bettah at remaining in control. I can see the day will come I want more bike. Power and style certainly play a part. The bigger motor is calling me. The forward controls are nice. I was just wondering if a big bike is going to be the same challenge all over.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Malpaso said:
Personally, I think it is harder to ride a Sporty than a Big Twin. I have owned an Ironhead, Superglide and a Roadster, and have been riding for 30 years. The high center of gravity of the Sporty is noticeable to me. By harder to ride, I mean you have to pay attention in high speed curves, and the like. I recently test rode a Road King, and found it to be the easiest, most comfortable bike I've ever been on. It felt like an easy chair going inot the turns. YMMV.

I notice the bigger bikes are only 3 inches longer, axle to axle, and maybe 1/2 inch lower, but much increased weight. In terms of center of gravity it could be a dramatic difference. I dont know.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
To some extent it will be. Everytime I get a new bike there is a "learning curve" as every bike handles, brakes, accelerates, etc different. Don't worry about having to totally start over though. The basics are the same, just the nuances change. Just remember that a bigger motor means it is easier to get in trouble and trouble comes quicker.

james
'04 BMW R1150RT

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I think you get used to about anything in a very short period of time. Any perceived difficulty will go away in a few days / miles.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Balance

Balance...That is the bottom line in handling a bike. Getting comfy with a particular bike's center of gravity. I know a couple of the ladies in my CMA chapter who are both slender. One ride's a Gold Wing (and she usually is carrying her high-school daughter) and the other owns a full dresser Electra-Glide. Both of them ride and handle these bikes like it is no big deal...and for them it isn't [i.e. a big deal].:coffee:

So, the answer is...the larger V-Twins are harder to ride only as it relates to finding and getting comfy with the bike's center of gravity. And where is it the hardest to maintain that balance? In the places where you drive the bike the slowest - parking lots. The place where there will likely be witnesses if a parking lot manuever "falls short" (pun intended) on maintaining balance!

Then one can be humiliated twice in the span of a couple of minutes: the first humilation from the act of dropping the bike itself.

The second is when you do not know the "trick" to pick up a heavy bike by yourself.

I know this from personal experience!

·
Banned
202 Posts
geoffreyt - what type of bike are you looking into?

I have a Fatboy and I was suprised how well it handled the first time I got on it.

It has a low center of gravity, unlike the Sportster (which has a high center of gravity).

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FLSTFI-2005 said:
geoffreyt - what type of bike are you looking into?

I have a Fatboy and I was suprised how well it handled the first time I got on it.

It has a low center of gravity, unlike the Sportster (which has a high center of gravity).

Im not sure just yet. Money is always an issue and Id rather buy new, so a Dyna Super Glide is looking pretty good. A Fat Boy is hot! Im gravitate to themI would have to do some saving up. But Im not ready just yet. I may get antsy and put mine up on Ebay in the Spring and if it sells at the right price get me a Super Glide. If I hold out longer I might be able to move up. Its a vicious cycle. Mo money equals mo bettah. Right now Im just settling into this Sportster. Trying to find the feel.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
OldFart
139 Posts
Bigger...better?

My OL had a 1990 Sporty. Rode it 10K miles in three years. Got her on an FXDL, she bought it and ... lemme think, I believe that she has told me MORE than 1000 times how much easier the Dyna is to ride than the Sporty. She says it's the feel, lower center of gravity, etc. Just all-around better handling both low speed and hi-way. I know she'll never go back, LOL.

How to pick up a bike: go here:
www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Was a bigger bike harder to ride, for me? Nope. I rode a Honda 750 Shadow before I bought my Heritage and the first time I got on my Heritage I was absolutely shocked. I'll bet my husband heard me say 100 times... "Man, this 600 lb Heritage drives better than my 350 lb Shadow! I haven't dropped my Heritage once, in my 30,000 miles... riding Seattle steep downtown hills, gravel parking, etc...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts