V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reply to a previous thread if its ever too cold here's something to ponder my snowed in friends.
Well my first day off and it's bloody gonna be 40c plus(104f).Extreme fire danger
with moderate to high winds.
Oh well looks like i'll just stay inside and knock back a few coldies.:cheers: :harhar:
Seasons Greetings and a happy new year to all the cast and crew of VTF.?prty: :beer4u:

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
No, not yet.

Best wishes and happy holidays to you and George, Baldy.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I dunno, but the ride from Sturgis to Devils Tower this past August was mighty hot. We went on the first weekend of the event, and is was 110 in spots. Kinda like driving thru a blast furnace. The hottest I have ever experienced. I am sure glad I was on a bike and moving.

YB

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have been in 110*+ desert heat for many miles. No problem until I got home and looked in the mirror. I was kinda red faced as I wear a small half helmet. I looked like a racoon all summer.:xhere:

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
Baldboy, u suck :) its 17F outside right now where I am at. Just hose yourself off with some water and enjoy the breeze

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
If it was ever too hot to ride, I can't remember it. But when it's over 100 I can't very well remember when it was too cold to ride either.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Going thru Needles once,temps over 120, so hot it hurts. Had to stop.Cooled off in a park under the sprinklers for awhile,left soaking wet and was dry in 10 min.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Middle 50's to the middle 90's is pretty much my desired comfort zone
on a bike.
I can ride in less cold or higher temps but the fun factor would not be there for me at that point.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I've never ridden in abnormally hot weather; 105 has been the hottest for me. But, my biggest concern would be overheating our aircooled engines, cooking the oil, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I pretty much call it quits when it is so hot that the tar starts seeping out of the asphalt. It can get "interesting" when you hit one of those spots halfway through a curve. Or when it is so hot that you park your bike for lunch and when you come back the kickstand has sunk into the asphalt. Better have help pulling that thing back out!

·
Registered
521 Posts
darkknight said:
I pretty much call it quits when it is so hot that the tar starts seeping out of the asphalt. It can get "interesting" when you hit one of those spots halfway through a curve. Or when it is so hot that you park your bike for lunch and when you come back the kickstand has sunk into the asphalt. Better have help pulling that thing back out!
Last summer I hit a road covered with "tar snakes".It was like riding on ice. For parking I carry a crushed beer can to put under the jiffy stand.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Old Snowman runs around in 125 plus temps and loves it!!!!!!!!!!!

Me, I head to the nearest air conditioned bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer4u:
My hero days are long gone!!!

All the best for Xmas Baldboy and all VTF Members

?prty: ?prty: ?prty: ?prty:​

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wife and I rode I-8/I-10 from San Diego-Yuma-Gila Bend-Tucson this year. Yuma was 107 and Gila Bend was 114. Not exactly enjoyable, but was doable with a reasonable amount of water & cool down stops.

regards

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey dog..

thanks for the kind wishes, xmas has been interesting this year that is for sure.

I'm sure baldboy will enjoy riding and drinking beers by himself in the coming months.

take it easy,

George :boobies:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kindsvater, If you live in the real Northern Ca. (Eureka,Klamath Falls not S.F.) then you dont ride alot with that comfort zone you have listed. When I lived up there I had to fly over to Redding or Chico just to feel some sun and heat. Anyway you have unlimited beautiful riding that I miss but you also have earthquakes that I surely do not miss.
Ride safe
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
71baldboy said:
Is it ever too hot to ride?:
Hell no. Living in Florida, it gets prety hot but never to hot to ride.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
pelon said:
Kindsvater, If you live in the real Northern Ca. (Eureka,Klamath Falls not S.F.) then you dont ride alot with that comfort zone you have listed. When I lived up there I had to fly over to Redding or Chico just to feel some sun and heat. Anyway you have unlimited beautiful riding that I miss but you also have earthquakes that I surely do not miss.
Ride safe
Ron
I'm just south of Chico. Maybe 70 was a little to high. I can still wear a sweatshirt at 60 but I get a little cold. I hate wearing multi-layers of clothes. Would rather just do a t-shirt deal. And I avoid the Bay Area at all costs. To many idiots down there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts