V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Iron Butt
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many Red Sox fans on this site so i'd like your thoughts on Ellsbury...I know he's not worth the money but what else besides that can you say about him.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Yankee fans will love him (and I mean that in a good way). Great centerfielder, good hitter (also a patient hitter) so he always has a good on base percentage. That combined with the fact he bats lefty and has great speed makes him one of the best lead off hitters in the game...he gets many infield hits due to his speed. Always among league leaders in SB's. Only downfall is he is somewhat injury prone. He also has some pop...had one year with 30+ HR's so with that short RF porch in Yankee Stadium I would not be surprised to see him hit quite a few.

I still say that contract is insane but more power to him...Sox fans will miss him no doubt!

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Being objective-

1- not the strongest arm
2- he will never be the leader in the clubhouse (I think guys who get the type of contract he did should be leaders)
3- he will hit the wrong side of 34-35 over the duration of his contract
4- fast runner but if you're a true believer in sabermetrics, then you also believe that stolen bases are highly overrated and he is being compensated for a useless stat
5- I don't think he will be viewed as a power hitter. It wasn't like he had warning track power in Fenway. If he couldn't hit a lot at Fenway (315 down the right field line?), I don't see him spiking in NY, even with those field dimensions. Besides, he is about to hit the age where everyone (except Barry Bonds) declines in power stats.
6- questionable durability and his grit was questioned a few times in Boston.
7- he's not a drama queen (like A-Roid) and he can handle the pressures of the NY market.

I'm glad the Sox let him walk if that's what it was going to take to keep him. I think teams often regret the long, expensive contracts. Do I think he's going to be productive? Absolutely (for the first 3-4 years of his contract) but he's not going to carry the team and he is getting paid like a player who is expected to carry a team.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Forgot to mention that Ellsbury is not as good as Cano; who may very well have walked after seeing what they gave to Ellsbury....... and wouldn't give him.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The money thrown around for the past several seasons is insane.

Red Sox fans will react the same way they did when Johnny Damon returned to Fenway, boos and applause.

·
hippie
5,106 Posts
damon! what a joke, no arm, poor attitude. i bet ellsbury gets more injured reserve time then actual play time. jmo... it was nice to see a basically star less team last year, and it paid off for em.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
what a Horrible sign. And we're still paying him to do nothing.
How would you like to pay Yu Darvish the 126 Mil he got from the Cubs. I think he pitched 6 innings in the first year of his contract. They say he may be a mental because couldn't follow his one bad outing as he was afraid that the fans would be mad at him.

Since then, they are saying shoulder problems. I don't think anyone knows whats wrong with him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
captainhook455
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing