V-Twin Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
Harley has survived worse more than once, plus i do see more kids riding HD. Sure Sportsters but still HD.

Indian on the other hand, with their frame issues, my be on its way out in the near future. Thats the industry rumor.
What is the frame issue on the Indian? I didn't know there was a problem other than the heat and that Polaris owns the company.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,413 Posts
Frame necks are fracturing at the head bearings causing loss of control. Many of them from pot holes and collisions that do not damage the fork tubes or wheels is how the story goes.

The DOT has a file open on it but they don't comment on pending investigations.

Regardless of what is the actual cause, a scooter that becomes uncontrollable and ejects the rider because of a frame neck failure is going to end up being recalled. The question is does Indian have the resources to repair or buy back all of these scooters. Or will Polaris split it off and let Indian go bankrupt. Were it not for the corona slow down in DC, I think this would already be headed to the courts.

They have already settled several accidents, and the riders have been prevented from speaking on the issue.

Rumor is that one of the real sticking points is the defective frame section carries the Vin, and the Feds have concerns about all of the scooters getting replacement parts with the correct vin, And that brought up the issue of vin integrity and existing state laws. Evidently some states are not up to speed as regards to replacing sections of frames. Past that, one of the law suits is stating that the collision testing was faked. Some of the scooters that were tested to destruction, on paper, still existed and had been assigned new house serial numbers when the frame necks were replaced. And this is not reflected in the crash data.

And then there is a fellow in the EU who found that most of his frame neck had broken off and basically gravity was holding the scooter together. Part of the crack was much older than the last break which caused the section to fall off. Something that so minor as to leave the scooter in a ride-able condition broke that frame neck. And then the failure continued to get worse. Allegedly for no other reason than bad roads.

Now, I have no idea as to how much of this is true. And I've learned to not trust what I read on the internet as being total truth. But the deal in EU will prevent me from buying an Indian. And I don't see the dozens of photos as all being fake. Some of them show basically undamaged front ends separated from the frames. And regardless of the collision, the frame neck should be stronger than the forks and wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Frame necks are fracturing at the head bearings causing loss of control. Many of them from pot holes and collisions that do not damage the fork tubes or wheels is how the story goes.

The DOT has a file open on it but they don't comment on pending investigations.

Regardless of what is the actual cause, a scooter that becomes uncontrollable and ejects the rider because of a frame neck failure is going to end up being recalled. The question is does Indian have the resources to repair or buy back all of these scooters. Or will Polaris split it off and let Indian go bankrupt. Were it not for the corona slow down in DC, I think this would already be headed to the courts.

They have already settled several accidents, and the riders have been prevented from speaking on the issue.

Rumor is that one of the real sticking points is the defective frame section carries the Vin, and the Feds have concerns about all of the scooters getting replacement parts with the correct vin, And that brought up the issue of vin integrity and existing state laws. Evidently some states are not up to speed as regards to replacing sections of frames. Past that, one of the law suits is stating that the collision testing was faked. Some of the scooters that were tested to destruction, on paper, still existed and had been assigned new house serial numbers when the frame necks were replaced. And this is not reflected in the crash data.

And then there is a fellow in the EU who found that most of his frame neck had broken off and basically gravity was holding the scooter together. Part of the crack was much older than the last break which caused the section to fall off. Something that so minor as to leave the scooter in a ride-able condition broke that frame neck. And then the failure continued to get worse. Allegedly for no other reason than bad roads.

Now, I have no idea as to how much of this is true. And I've learned to not trust what I read on the internet as being total truth. But the deal in EU will prevent me from buying an Indian. And I don't see the dozens of photos as all being fake. Some of them show basically undamaged front ends separated from the frames. And regardless of the collision, the frame neck should be stronger than the forks and wheel.
And that folks is as they say.....the rest of the story.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts