V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
Personal preference here man. Depends on your stature, the set-up of the bike, etc. For me a Softail is way more comfortable, I'm sitting in the bike and not floating on top of it. If you can, try them both and then form your own opinions.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
No Question...a Sporty is riding "ON" a motorcycle...a Softtail is riding "IN" a motorcycle...a bigger bike isn't as nimble as a sporty but the feeling of surefooted handling and lean angle will sell you right away!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
im 6'3" and traded my 03 1200custom for an 06 night train...the ride is like night and day...love my night train, definitely more comfortable...once u ride a softail, the sportster just wont cut it anymore...

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I'd say the Night Train will be more comfortable. I rode a 1000 cc Sportster for 9 years. My husband just got a 2005 Night Train and I really enjoy riding it - the bike was REAL solid on the road - more so even than my Road King. It had good power and handled very well. I'd definitely choose it over a Sportster.

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Godiva even rode it with Ape's on it...

The Night Train is going to give you a ride what they call, "in the bike" rather then on the bike like the Sporty. Depends on your preference. me, I would take a softail over a Sporty any day.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
bizmarkee7 said:
im 6'3" and traded my 03 1200custom for an 06 night train...the ride is like night and day...love my night train, definitely more comfortable...once u ride a softail, the sportster just wont cut it anymore...
Man... that sounds just like me... I had to check and make sure that wasn't my post.

I agree. The Train rides smoother/nicer than the sporties.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wouldn't trade my sporty for nothin. It's the real thing.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I have rode both and I say hands down a softail of any variety will assuredly ride better than a sporty. However, you may like the lighter and more nimble sportster. If it is all out sportyness that you want instead of a cruiser then why not just a sportbike?

·
DILLIGAF
35 Posts
I have owned/own both. The set-up and distance to pegs is about the same. I guess for me the riding on Vs. riding in is accurate. Sporster also has a much stiffer ride. My -2$en#e-

·
Banned
873 Posts
fixerdj said:
I wouldn't trade my sporty for nothin. It's the real thing.
I love ridin' on my sport!

'Course, I'll porbably get a touring bike when I grow up.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
marc515 said:
Is a SoftTail NightTrain more comfortable to ride than a Sportster Custom 883?

Thank you,...marc
That's like asking if there is light when the sun comes up.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
I went from a Sportster 883 to a Heritage Softail. I liked the tighter, more nimble feel of my sporty, but I now really appreciate the comfort of my Softail. It is not as nimble, but feels a lot more stable in heavy winds (even with the windshield on). After I got used to the bigger bike, I felt crunched up on my sporty. I also seem to ride more mellow than I used to (a recent wreck helped that a lot, as well).

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
@gree: I went from a highly modified sporty 1200 to a stock (w/only pipes, AC and PCIII) FatBoy. Sometimes I miss the sporty, especially kicking the asses of the likes of hilbilly camero drivers from lights, but riding more sedately as I do now on the Fatgirl I'll probably live longer, and more comfortably. While Jolene jumps away from a light just fine, she doesn't catapault away like Lucille did. . . .

Lefty
'05 Fatboy (Jolene)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
want ya go to the dealer and sit yer bottom on all of em
betcha gona get an Ultra, :laugh: lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts