V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Harley a couple of months ago. It is a 2000 FXD Super Glide. I love the bike and could be completely happy riding it, but the wife now wants to ride with me and she did not seem to interested at the time of purchase. We want to go on rides and overnight trips, etc and the super glide is just too small. She is uncomfortable on the back, and not much room for our gear. I need the capability to do these trips and ride two up, but still the majority of the time I will be riding solo to and from work, etc.

I have been doing research and I really like the RK. Specifically I am looking a 2001 RK Classic. Will this bike serve my needs, or will I be wanting something different down the road?

I see the Ultra Classics and they look like the ultimate bike, but I just don't really like the look of the fairings. I think they are probably the most comfortable and practical, but (no offense) I just picture older folks on them. I am 29 and "looking cool" is still important to me.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
bdog1234 said:
I bought my first Harley a couple of months ago. It is a 2000 FXD Super Glide. I love the bike and could be completely happy riding it, but the wife now wants to ride with me and she did not seem to interested at the time of purchase. We want to go on rides and overnight trips, etc and the super glide is just too small. She is uncomfortable on the back, and not much room for our gear. I need the capability to do these trips and ride two up, but still the majority of the time I will be riding solo to and from work, etc.

I have been doing research and I really like the RK. Specifically I am looking a 2001 RK Classic. Will this bike serve my needs, or will I be wanting something different down the road?

I see the Ultra Classics and they look like the ultimate bike, but I just don't really like the look of the fairings. I think they are probably the most comfortable and practical, but (no offense) I just picture older folks on them. I am 29 and "looking cool" is still important to me.
Not to sway you. But I'm 26. And chicks dig me when I'm on the Electra Glide. Somehow they associate the Electra Glide with having a lot of money. Bllahahahaha.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I've been riding since I was a kid. I've had 15 motorcycles, including an EG. I believe that the Rk and Heritage Soft tails are the most versatile Harleys available.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I am 51 and a cool ride is important to me. I went with the RK Custom for the look and it is a bad solo ride. Riding solo comprises about 85% of my time on the bike, but I can convert it to a 2up geezer-mobile in about 10 minutes when she wants to come along complete with luggage rack, windshield, and a comfy pillion for her to sit on. I just don't want all that crap on when I am cruising by myself.

Click my link for pictures of the solo setup and then the seat tab for the Geezer version.

The RK meets the comfort level necessary for these Advil dependant ol' bones as well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
8-Ball said:
I am 51 and a cool ride is important to me. I went with the RK Custom for the look and it is a bad solo ride. Riding solo comprises about 85% of my time on the bike, but I can convert it to a 2up geezer mobile in about 10 minutes when she wants to come along complete with luggage rack, windshield, and a comfy pillion for her to sit on. I just don't want all that crap on when I am cruising by myself.

Click my link for pictures of the solo setup and then the seat tab for the Geezer version.
I'm with you on this 8-Ball... @gree:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ride a '95 RK and when the wife wants to ride put a detachable tour pak on and she is can put all of her crap in it. other wise i ride solo. i have one screw on the back seat and usually remove it if i am riding solo. i figure if i wanted all the attachements on an EG i might as well by a convertable cage.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
I bought my Road King in 2004. I looked at Road King Classics, Road King Customs, E-Glide Standard, and Ultra. I ended up buying a 2003 Road King Police w/ 7000miles on it. What I'm getting at is that I only paid $14,000 for it, which I think is a good price, and if you're like 99% of Harley owners you're gonna do mods to it to make it unique. Buy a Basic model Road King or last years Police Road King and spend the money you save buying what you want on it and not what H-D put on it. Just my -2$en#e-
:xhere:

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
If you go with a RK make sure you get a model with cruise control...it will be your best freind on longer trips.:banana:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have FLHR but is converted almsot to full dresser. I would spend some time thinking about full dresser. It has everything. Best if you spend lots of time on bike. Carrying stuff, especially in cold weather.

Though I think Rad Kings are the most versatile. I would never be without bags, so don't care about softails and removing bags.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
When I bought my 2000 Road Glide, I was convinced i needed a bike with a fairing and saddlebags. The Road Glide fit the bill, so it came home with me. I have since put fairing lowers on it, and am planning to add a tour-pak and cruise control. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should've just gotten an Ultra Classic and been ridinig instead of accessorizing. Just my .02

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Started on a '96 Dyna Lowried back in Feb. 2001. Traded it in on a '01 Road King 5 monhts later because wife wanted something a little more comfortable for us both. Have since traded the Road King for an '04 Electra Glide Classic back in Mar. 2004. Couldn't be happier.

I loved the Road King but needed more space for wife to carry her stuff on trips(How the hell do the pack so much crap and why do they need it? :hmmm: )

·
Registered
22 Posts
RK w/cruise

I will 2nd the motion on the cruise..

Although I added it to my '06 Custom myself after I got the bike home..

While the Classic comes standard with cruise, I think most of the others allow it to be added after the fact (thus opening up the entire RK line to choose from).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Is a Road King the Bike for me?

The answer to this question is ALWAYS yes, especially if you are talking about an RKC with cruise control.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies, some good advice here. Quick dumb question, Do all RK Classics have cruise control? I did not notice it on the 01 I was looking at. Just curious if it is only certain years or all of them.

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Road King Classic - quite a change from the '82 Sporty I rode for almost 10 years! You can make them look more radical if you want, and you can carry a passenger and lots of STUFF (handy if you're a girl, or are carrying a passenger who's a girl) ;) The RKC is great for short or long trips - not too huge for bar hopping and big enough to make a longer trip comfortable.

The quick release saddle bags are handy if you don't want to unpack - just take them off the bike and into your hotel (or wherever). I also love the quick release windshield I have - I'll put it on for longer trips or if the weather is iffy, or take it off while riding around town.

·
Registered
479 Posts
bdog1234 said:
I see the Ultra Classics and they look like the ultimate bike, ... I think they are probably the most comfortable and practical ....
Umm... Did you answer your own question?

You are going to lose a lot of money trading so soon, so you might not want to ride your next bike for a short time and lose even more money if it's not the right choice.

Rent the RK and EG. Also try the Road Glide. Ride each for long day or two.

Do a lot of research about the features of each of the models.

As for what looks cool - you can make any bike look cool with a little imagination and a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...and for what it's worth,

You can put a cruise control unit on any touring model... easily.

And YES, the Road King is for YOU.

Just get the wife to ride the Super Glide and you won't lose anything on the trade in... and if she don't want to learn to ride, then you'll just have an "extra" bike for the solo days. Either way works. :D

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
I just bought a FLHR and allthough I haven't spent alot of time on it yet. I can tell I made the right choice.I can have it full loaded ready for anything or quick de-tatch the backrest,pass.seat and the windshield for a more uncomplicated cruise.My last bike was a sporty so 2up riding on anything else is going to seem alot nicer.{ yes, even a shopping cart.]But the RK is a real Caddillac.It's comfortable and smooth and nice piece of mashinery.

·
Banned
135 Posts
I'll second the road king votes. I'm 36. I've had my RK since I was 30 or so. I really really (thought) I wanted a fat boy. But this RK was sitting there with saddlebags already on it and a windshield that could be easily removed. Lightly used by a local PD. I was drawn to it and every day I thank my lucky stars. Many thousand miles and many payments later I still love my bike and have no need or desire for another. Its paid for now, slowly customized over the years. It doesn't look new anymore but it does look good and I get compliments on it every day especially when folks find out how old it is and how many miles are on it. Solo, the windshield comes off and the barely there solo seat goes on. Looks sweet that way! When the OL wants to ride, out comes the windshield and the dual touring and backrest. Its one of the most satisifying best decisions I have ever made.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts