V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going to 95" or perhaps 98" probably next year.

For now I'm just adding a set of Crane 300-2 .505 lift cams. I really don't want to pay for a carb twice.
Should I just stick with my stock 40mm CV carb until I do the big bore or is now a good time to put in the 44mm SE carb?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I agree your 40 mm CV should be fine. I went to a 42 mm from the stock CV on my 99 RK build to 95. Runs great but I lost +/-25% fuel economy depending on how hard I'm riding. This can be a pain on longer road trips. More air, more fuel, more HP... Some mechanics suggest they could get me similar HP and Torque with the stock CV carb. So, might want to check it out. My 99 RK runs at 93 HP and 104 ft-lbs torque.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Animal,
Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread..., but do you know the particulars, (jetting, etc.), on how your 44 CV is set up right now? I'm running a 40 right now, just installed a 95" kit and plan to move up too. Just curious as to how your's is set up.
Thanks,
DLR

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Your 40 will work just fine on an 88 or 95. If you go to the 98, then you'll find a bigger benefit from the 44. I have a 40 on my 98" and it works. The 44 will work better!!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DLRvelocity,

Back in 2001 the local Harley shop installed the McCooney carb on my 99 Road King with the 95 ci build. It didn’t run well. It was hard starting, sluggish, pumped out blue smoke… Basically it was s**t. I brought it back and then to another HOG shop. They both said it ran fine. I wanted to burn the bike I was so made. At the time I had a stock Wide Glide and road it instead. Finally, I got made enough and brought it to a local aftermarket mechanic with a good reputation (who just happened to be the previous head mechanic at the same HOG shop that did the original work). He messed with it for awhile on a dyno to tune it in and its been running 93 HP and 104 ft-lbs rock solid since. He said the main jet was wide open and that was the original error.

So, the bottom line is I do not have the technical answer you were looking for. I’m on the road now and all my paper invoices are at home so I can’t even quote you jetting part numbers.

I think there is a side story and that is - it pays to find a knowledgeable and experience mechanic with the means to trouble shoot and tune in your bike. I just bough a new 2006 Fuel Injected Street Glide which I am having the engine built to 95ci. It gave me heart burn over to decide which mechanic will do the work.

Good Luck
:cheers:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I run the 44mm CV on my 95". On good days I get +44 mpg. I believe the stock 44mm carb uses a #48 slow jet and a #200 main jet (sometimes a #210) with the "L" needle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts