V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a twin cam motor myself and thus most of my knowledge and learning has been geared for them.

This morning, a friend called and said he's been offered a 93 softail with 75,000 miles for $6500.00. He said the exterior of the bike appears to be in excellent condition and it has lots of added chrome and S&S parts.

Sounds like the bike is being sold by a widow...so I don't think she's really in the know about the specifics of the bike herself.

Do you think its a good deal?...and what kinds of wearables would you expect he may contend with if he were to buy?

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
75,000 .... It's just a baby !!!!

I have seen them in the 150,000+ miles with little or no problems. A friends EVO sucked a bolt into his cylinder a couple months back. Althought the bolt destroyed a piston and caused the motor to need complete rebuilding, when we took it apart it was in great shape other than the obvious damage. It had 90,000+ on it at the time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Evo's last a long time. My '84 is run hard and modded and I have over 90k on it. Still running strong and I plan to do a rebuild on it around 120k.

At 75k, check for roacker and base gasket leaks, and if there is no info on the motor, inpecting and replacing the lifters and checking the cam lobes is a good idea.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My buddy rides an Evo with 95k on it with the stock clutch! Those things last forever.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine had 165,000+ when I tore it down. Everything and I mean everything, was good. Cylindres would have taken standard pistons.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
sailordb said:
Mine had 165,000+ when I tore it down. Everything and I mean everything, was good. Cylindres would have taken standard pistons.

Ok, now with those great numbers, lets see what tips the equation in favor of longevity....

1.) synthetic oil.....Yes No

2.) oil change interval

3.) cammed or stock internals

4.) lifter change @ what mileage?

5.) babied or ridden hard

6.) followed new break in when applicable?

I'll start

Syn III oil, never gone beyond 3k miles, mild v thunder cam, still has stock lifters, babied, broken in on interstate on way home from dealer did not exceed 65 mph and kept rpm's reasonably low. over 100 k now. base gaskets at 5 k miles. Did not need em, just knew someday she would..James Gaskets!

Runs like a top still!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Good friend of mine is fix'in to roll 100K on his. No problems yet.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
If the friend doesn't want it, pm me for my phone number, he can give it to the widow!! I'll take the bike!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Seahag said:
Sounds like the bike is being sold by a widow...so I don't think she's really in the know about the specifics of the bike herself.

Do you think its a good deal?...and what kinds of wearables would you expect he may contend with if he were to buy?
Sounds great...just be careful...

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 95 Ultra is at 121k miles. Riding buddy's RK is at 165 k. No problems with either bike. Good routine maintenance and lots of it. Castrol oil, dino not synthetic, change at 3k miles. Ride and enjoy.

Bubba

1 - 11 of 11 Posts