V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Every trip has too many roads and not enough time, but here's a few to consider if time allows;

68 out of Tellico down the mountain to Ducktown, 64/74/19 east heads you back toward Robbinsville.

315 from Tellico down to Reliance, down 30 (Greasy Creek) hits 64 (Ocoee River) head east which becomes 74/19 again, back toward Robbinsville.

74/19 east at Topton head through the Nantahala Gorge.
(weekend traffic sucks through the gorge)

Stay with 129 south into Georgia, catch maybe one more route and wander into Suches, Hiawassee, Dahlonega.

321 into Townsend, Old 73 through the River Gorge and down 441 to Cherokee .

A nice ride across Cherahola, the Dragon needs to be done once, but there's several hundred miles of great roads where you'll be.
In Dahlonega visit the Crisson Gold Mine. Also if you have the women with you a trip to the Cabbage Patch Hospital in nearby Cleveland, Georgia is worth the trip. I took a group there once. I made it a mystery ride as I knew no one would follow me there if they knew where we were going. They all got a kick out of it and still talk about it today. Also the Swiss Village of Helen is only about 9 miles from Cleveland.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am going to make that same trip from the Indianapolis area 1 month after you OP.

I did it 2 years ago on a combo of interstate and state highways. It still took about 12 hours.

It depends on your endurance and the schedule you wish to keep.

Have a good time. All the roads mentioned by others are awesome. The Cherahola skyway is amazing.

and FWIW I rode over 200 non interstate miles on my Ducati 1098 last Monday. Went from 930 AM until about 130 PM with only 2 quick fuel stops.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Oh Yea Rick, when you take the left "Y" in the road on 129 I mentioned before, it changes numbers to 321 as I recall.Cant remember just now.

Took a Fathers day ride in car with the Fam today, remember when I said the road "Y's" right after thew airport? and to take the Left fork? THAT IS 321., so I think my directions were fairly simple and accurate.
I took the Foothills parkway for a ride yesterday (Saturday) and am gonna post a couple of pics if system lets me....here goes!
Welll.....I tried, Rick I think I have your email address:confused:, if so maybe I can send them that way.Couldnt get them to post here.
Regards
Ed

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks, Ed. In case you don't have my email, it's [email protected].

Now the weather just needs to cooperate!

Rick

Took a Fathers day ride in car with the Fam today, remember when I said the road "Y's" right after thew airport? and to take the Left fork? THAT IS 321., so I think my directions were fairly simple and accurate.
I took the Foothills parkway for a ride yesterday (Saturday) and am gonna post a couple of pics if system lets me....here goes!
Welll.....I tried, Rick I think I have your email address:confused:, if so maybe I can send them that way.Couldnt get them to post here.
Regards
Ed

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I don't think it is that big of deal, long day though. Get up early. I usually plan 500 miles a day on the interstate, but that is not making an effort.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Planning a trip from Indy to the Tail of the Dragon. Have my non-interstate route all picked out. Then I input the route into Mapquest only to find out it's 550 miles. Should I start over or is that doable, in your opinion? Thanks.
There are a number of great rides in the area. As mentioned earlier you'd enjoy the Dragon more on a weekday, way too many "crotch crazies" on the weekend. 12 Classic Deals Gap Motorcycle Rides ( http://shop.americaridesmaps.com/12-Classic-Deals-Gap-Motorcycle-Rides-NC007.htm ) is a great reference for the area and puts "together" rides and references scenic spots, average time to complete and mileage traveled. Well worth the minimal investment. Have a great ride and don't forget the "Monkey Butt" powder!

·
Super Moderator
19,655 Posts
Reading through the posts, lots of good roads have been mentioned. Some I've ridden, and others I hope too.

One thing about scenic roads, in season, they can be hard to make miles on. A little traffic, some sight seeing, Mr Magoo in is 60 foot mansion on wheels, combined with miles and miles of no passing zones can make for a frustrating day.

Personally I kind of like the old pre interstate US highways. 50 from NoVA to Cali is one of the rides on my list. Then hit some of 66 on the way home.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
There are some great roads between Indy and Maryville, it'll probably take the better part of two days but take your time and ride them. The Dragon Tail is a destination worth visiting, but you'll enjoy the ride down and back just as much. jmho
What he said ^. You could do it, but it would be a mistake to put yourself on that kind of a timetable unless you are OK with (and enjoy), very long days in the saddle. I can tell you last time I went the the Dragon I was amazed at how little forward progress we made as we got close to that region. Distance check, 100 miles to go, 2 hours later, 60 miles to go!

Split it over 2 days if you can.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I'm baaaack! Hey, all. Thanks for the great advice. We accomplished our main goals. 1. Ride the Dragon, 2. Ride the Blue Ridge Parkway (at least some of it), 3. Ride Cherohala Skyway. Here are some pictures of the trip. Rode 1,300 miles in 4 days...probably 800 was on the interstate getting there and back.
I don't think there are any bad roads down there.

Me on the Dragon

·
Registered
925 Posts
AWESOME!!!!
Any of my directions help? Hope they didn't cause you to get lost!
I hope you will post more Pics soon!..OOOOPPSS!! Just saw the link on your post to slideshow and went to it! Great Pics Rick!
Regards
Ed

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yep. They were helpful, Ed. Thanks again. I need to spend more time down there the next time. Two full days down there is clearly not enough. At least we got the big three in as well as 215 from the Parkway into Rosman. Gotta go back!

AWESOME!!!!
Any of my directions help? Hope they didn't cause you to get lost!
I hope you will post more Pics soon!..OOOOPPSS!! Just saw the link on your post to slideshow and went to it! Great Pics Rick!
Regards
Ed

21 - 32 of 32 Posts