V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
Lot of factors in that. I did 240 miles off interstate highways and averaged 50mph so about 4.5 hours. Based on that same average I could do 550 miles in about 11-12 hours. If you are on 30 mph roads and average 30mph it would take 22-24 hours.

Is it doable? YES
Can you do it on your trip??? No Clue ... let us know if you do

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
If you are using mapquest it should also give you an estimate of how long it "should take". Sometimes it is much less, sometimes it is much more.

Add in how often and long you typically stop, and go from there.

Not knowing how long you typically stay in the saddle, can't really answer yes or no for you. I am sure it is feasible for some, but probably not for most.

Might want to just add in an extra day of riding and map out potential hotels you can stop at.

rkc

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
There are some great roads between Indy and Maryville, it'll probably take the better part of two days but take your time and ride them. The Dragon Tail is a destination worth visiting, but you'll enjoy the ride down and back just as much. jmho

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,261 Posts
There are some great roads between Indy and Maryville, it'll probably take the better part of two days but take your time and ride them. The Dragon Tail is a destination worth visiting, but you'll enjoy the ride down and back just as much. jmho
This.

From the North or North East, the Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the most scenic routes to Maryville. Definitely not the fastest but a very enjoyable ride.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would guess that's overly optimistic.

Past experience for me has 650-750 interstate miles @ 11-13 hours being a hard day,
with 400-450 miles on state routes every bit as hard, and honestly a bit harder.

A lot of state highways take you through 25-35-45 mph zones in incorporated areas.

A quick meal along with a couple fuel stops and you'll find you're only averaging 30-35 mph over a 6 hour window after running through a handful of city limits.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Personally I think it is quite doable depending on your endurance level. I have gone from my home to Cherokee, N.C., about 650 miles, and arrived before dark. Took mostly state and U.S. highways. I necessarily took about 30 miles of that on an interstate highway but that was it. Can't remember for sure but I think I left about 5 am and arrived about 5-6 pm. It has been a while so I may have left a little earlier and arrived maybe an hour later. I do remember it was at least an hour or two before dark.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
I would guess that's overly optimistic.

Past experience for me has 650-750 interstate miles @ 11-13 hours being a hard day,
with 400-450 miles on state routes every bit as hard, and honestly a bit harder.

A lot of state highways take you through 25-35-45 mph zones in incorporated areas.

A quick meal along with a couple fuel stops and you'll find you're only averaging 30-35 mph over a 6 hour window after running through a handful of city limits.
I would agree based on experience.

Also, if you decide to ride the interstate, don't take I 65. There are some ugly construction delays near Scottsburg right now.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Met with the group last night. Decided we'll take interstate 75 from Cincy to Knoxville and save our time and energy for the Blue Ridge Pkwy and other roads in and around the Dragon. Leaving Indy on 6/21. Will post some pics and video when I get back.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Thanks all. Met with the group last night. Decided we'll take interstate 75 from Cincy to Knoxville and save our time and energy for the Blue Ridge Pkwy and other roads in and around the Dragon. Leaving Indy on 6/21. Will post some pics and video when I get back.

Thanks again.
That is what I do. I have taken several cross country trips. On those trips my goal is to ride the western United States. For that reason I take the interstate until I cross the Mississippi. Actually some interstates are not too bad once you get away from the east coast. After that I exit the interstate for good until I cross the Mississippi again. This gives me maximum time to ride where I want to ride. Any place east of the Mississippi I can ride in a week or less and most of those places I have already been.

·
Super Moderator
19,655 Posts
The short answer is yes. 13 to 15 hours.

The type of road makes a difference, the type of scooter makes a difference, and the rider makes a difference.

But in the end it comes down to how much time can you comfortably spend in the saddle. After 10 hours with only 5 min fuel stops, most riders have had more than enough. Add in some bad secondary roads with frost heaves and such, and the butt fatigue sets in faster.

You also need to ask yourself why do you want to avoid the slab? If it's to see the county side, then trying to make time while doing it makes little sense.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,828 Posts

Thanks again.
Let me know if you'd like a "tour guide" for a day or are up for some food and beverage company.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Greetings::)
I live here and only about 15 miles from Maryville, If I may make a suggestion ( s )? Ride the dragon during the week on a weekday, the weekend is CRAZY there.:woohoo:
One idea I would suggest is taking the Foothills Parkway over to the Dragon, its a beautiful ride, I do that 3-4 times a summer.
Visit Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson's souvineer store next to the dragon Theres even a HUGE Dragon statute most folks get their pic taken by.( No, I dont work for them) They have a lot of nice tshirts etc. Anyway, in Maryville is the Flagship store for Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson and they can help with any service issues, again, Nope, I dont work for them but I did buy my bike there and they are very service oriented.
BTW, my mother in law lives in "Franklin" IN. so my wife takes that trip several times a year, takes her about 8-9 hours.From Indy take I-75S to Knoxville, then take 129 to Maryville ( Look for the "Airport" signs, the Airport is on 129 should be on your right as you pass it, just past the Airport there is a "Y" in the road, take the Left part of the "Y" follow it all the way, go through Maryville ( 4-5 miles) towards "Townsend" ...NOT ALL THE WAY TO TOWNSEND!! if you are in Townsend you went too far!, and pick up Foothills Parkway on your right ( before Townsend!) itt'l be about 10 miles outside of ( East of ) Maryville,on the right, take the Foothills Parkway,:woohoo: ( Only one way you can go on it) after a BEAUTIFUL RIDE maybe 15 miles,it brings ya out next to the Dragon and close to SMHD Retail store, actually if you follow these directions at the end of Foothills Parkway take a Left and its only a mile or so to the Dragon. I am sure you can do a mapquest from Indy to "Foothills Parkway". Oh Well, just some thoughts from a "Local":cya: I hope this helps!
Regards
Ed

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed,

Thanks for all that excellent information! Will definitely follow your advice.

Rick

I live here and only about 15 miles from Maryville, If I may make a suggestion ( s )? Ride the dragon during the week on a weekday, the weekend is CRAZY there.:woohoo:
One idea I would suggest is taking the Foothills Parkway over to the Dragon, its a beautiful ride, I do that 3-4 times a summer.
Visit Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson's souvineer store next to the dragon Theres even a HUGE Dragon statute most folks get their pic taken by.( No, I dont work for them) They have a lot of nice tshirts etc. Anyway, in Maryville is the Flagship store for Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson and they can help with any service issues, again, Nope, I dont work for them but I did buy my bike there and they are very service oriented.
BTW, my mother in law lives in "Franklin" IN. so my wife takes that trip several times a year, takes her about 8-9 hours.From Indy take I-75S to Knoxville, then take 129 to Maryville ( Look for the "Airport" signs, the Airport is on 129 should be on your right as you pass it, just past the Airport there is a "Y" in the road, take the Left part of the "Y" follow it all the way, go through Maryville ( 4-5 miles) towards "Townsend" ...NOT ALL THE WAY TO TOWNSEND!! if you are in Townsend you went too far!, and pick up Foothills Parkway on your right ( before Townsend!) itt'l be about 10 miles outside of ( East of ) Maryville,on the right, take the Foothills Parkway,:woohoo: ( Only one way you can go on it) after a BEAUTIFUL RIDE maybe 15 miles,it brings ya out next to the Dragon and close to SMHD Retail store, actually if you follow these directions at the end of Foothills Parkway take a Left and its only a mile or so to the Dragon. I am sure you can do a mapquest from Indy to "Foothills Parkway". Oh Well, just some thoughts from a "Local":cya: I hope this helps!
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ed,

Thanks for all that excellent information! Will definitely follow your advice.

Rick
Hi Again Rick, Youre Welcome !
One other thing, the "Brown" sign for entrance to Foothills Parkway, isnt very big and if you arent careful you will drive by it.There is only the one entrance.Again its on your right and when you enter you can only go right onto the Parkway, follow it all the way to dead end. At the end.....A Left takes you the Dragon,A Right takes you to the SMHD Store.( You may want a soda or BR break by then anyway)
Please let me know how the trip goes!! and tell me what ya think of Foothills Parkway! A LOT of people come back ion the Fall and do the Parkway because when the leaves change its GORGEOUS!!, Yea, I admit I do that several times in Fall myself! There are several pull offs and you can admire the view.I am gonna send ya a PM.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
613 Posts
Every trip has too many roads and not enough time, but here's a few to consider if time allows;

68 out of Tellico down the mountain to Ducktown, 64/74/19 east heads you back toward Robbinsville.

315 from Tellico down to Reliance, down 30 (Greasy Creek) hits 64 (Ocoee River) head east which becomes 74/19 again, back toward Robbinsville.

74/19 east at Topton head through the Nantahala Gorge.
(weekend traffic sucks through the gorge)

Stay with 129 south into Georgia, catch maybe one more route and wander into Suches, Hiawassee, Dahlonega.

321 into Townsend, Old 73 through the River Gorge and down 441 to Cherokee .

A nice ride across Cherahola, the Dragon needs to be done once, but there's several hundred miles of great roads where you'll be.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Every trip has too many roads and not enough time, but here's a few to consider if time allows;

68 out of Tellico down the mountain to Ducktown, 64/74/19 east heads you back toward Robbinsville.

315 from Tellico down to Reliance, down 30 (Greasy Creek) hits 64 (Ocoee River) head east which becomes 74/19 again, back toward Robbinsville.

74/19 east at Topton head through the Nantahala Gorge.
(weekend traffic sucks through the gorge)

Stay with 129 south into Georgia, catch maybe one more route and wander into Suches, Hiawassee, Dahlonega.

321 into Townsend, Old 73 through the River Gorge and down 441 to Cherokee .

A nice ride across Cherahola, the Dragon needs to be done once, but there's several hundred miles of great roads where you'll be.

[email protected]:
The Cherohala is as he says also an AWESOME RIDE!!:woohoo:
So many roads so Little time Sigh!:whistle:
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
925 Posts
Oh Yea Rick, when you take the left "Y" in the road on 129 I mentioned before, it changes numbers to 321 as I recall.Cant remember just now.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Regards
Ed
Later in the afternoon is good too. I got there about 5 pm one Friday afternoon. I took the Foothills Parkway and came out by the lake. I took a left to the Dragon and only encountered about 6 motorcycles going toward the store. After about a 20 minute visit at the store I rode back the other way and only met about 10 bikes. For all intents and purposes I had the Dragon all to myself. The only thing is if you want your photo taken, they were gone when I went by. Didn't matter anyway. I was just out for a ride. Since I had already ridden the Dragon quite a few times already I wasn't even heading there. I just took a wrong turn onto the Foothills Parkway and didn't realize where I was until I came out at the lake. I was originally heading back to Gatlinburg and took the wrong Foothills Parkway, there is more than one, 3 of them if I remember right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts