V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a 1981 Sporty.The bike wants to creep forward with the clutch lever pulled in and is hard to get into neutral when parked.He has replaced the clutch disks but didn't fix the problem.I'm taking for granted he has it adjusted properly. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most definately need to verify that the clutch is adjusted properly. Most problems are adjustment related. If the problem persists after adjustment then there are a couple of things. Is there too much oil in the tranny? Re-check the adjustment again. If out again, the captured adjustment nut is spinning in the cast boss of the outer ramp. A sure way to tell is to remove the nut and see if the points of the hex are rounded. I had this problem for 2 years of going out of adjustment now and then and it drove me nuts. Buying a new nut will not solve the problem here as it will round off the same as the other one. Either make a new one that is about .040 larger (on the flats) or carefully cut out a beer can to make a washer with wings that fold up on the flats to take up the excess room. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts