V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iron Butt Association --

http://ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

The basic certification "Saddlesore" is 1,000 miles in 24 hrs. We did the math and that's 55.55 mph avg. speed for 18 hrs. We're looking at getting on the road at 5 AM - 6 AM, and getting back home at Midnight. Pretty much a run down I-5 from Longview, WA to Redding, CA and return. I live in Astoria, adding another 110 miles round-trip. (Anderson, CA or Red Bluff, CA to the south depending what the odometer is saying.)

iPod Maps shows three routes to Redding, CA. Straight down I-5 is the first.

Second -- a return route option -- diverges east at Weed CA, up Hwy 97 to Klamath Falls, Bend, Madras, The Dalles or Biggs Junction.

Third return option follows this second route north to Madras and then takes Hwy 26 toward Mt. Hood, Sandy, Gresham, Portland.

All these route options are open highway, 24 hr gas access, food, rest areas. I can't imagine driving down I-5 to Redding and then coming back on the same stretch of freeway.

Evidently I need a witness at the start/finish to certify that I've done the distance, along with gas receipts food receipts with location and date/time stamps.

We have new tires, probably less than 500 miles on them. I added an LED headlight and Road Zeppelin saddle, fairing wind deflectors, 10" Windsplitter windshield, H-D Gerbing heated clothing. Cruise control, highway pegs, adj. backrest. I have 1000 miles worth of "sound track" on the iPod. Garmin Oregon 450t GPS to run avg. speed, elapsed time, ETA.

This shouldn't be too arduous. 55 mph gets me 1,000 miles in 18 hrs. That gives me a full 8 hrs [No! 6 hrs.] -- 25% elapsed time -- for rest stops, naps, the unforeseen.

We all appreciate that the Touring class H-D (2010 Street Glide) is set-up to take this sort of run in stride. A long walk in the park, but it's going to be comfortable, enjoyable . . . pretty much another day on the road.

I thought seriously about doing a one-way run. Head from Astoria to Rachel, NV on the Extraterrestrial Hwy. Get a witness at the Little A Le Inn, camp out, take my sweet unabiding time on the return ride. But then I decided that after a 1,000 mile ride it would be nice to be in my own home, spend the night in my own shower, my own bed, have at my own refrigerator, my own flat-screen cable TV

:cheers:

Anyone else have a wild hare up their [iron] butt? Wanna meet in Longview, WA; Portland, OR; points south ???

Has anyone done an Iron Butt? What did you learn. Where did you misunderestimate?

-- Discuss . . .

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
If you've never done one, officially, why do you have Ironbutt under your name?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why does anyone need a certificate?
What is the thrill of riding while one's reflexes are impaired? Isn't that a danger to others, not just yourself?
I understand they're possibly not popular questions, but they're asked honestly and not to flame.
goalie

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
At one time I could ride 1,000 miles in 24 hours. I think I no longer have the physical ability to do that. And, I have never had the desire to do that. The only reason I would ride 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours was if I wanted to be somewhere 1,000 miles from where I was the next day and the bike was the only way to go. I don't think I would even enjoy doing that in a cage. A certificate would mean nothing to me. I don't think I would apply for one even if I were eligible.

But I respect the ability of anyone did do this and would acknowledge to them that I thought that was quite an achievement.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you've never done one, officially, why do you have Ironbutt under your name?
That's a user . . . never mind . . . asked and answered. :coffee:

Why does anyone need a certificate?
What is the thrill of riding while one's reflexes are impaired? Isn't that a danger to others, not just yourself?
I understand they're possibly not popular questions, but they're asked honestly and not to flame.
goalie
Because their web site has a forum area, and you can't get into most of it until you've been certified? I don't think the 1000 mile / 24 hrs ride is pushing any envelope necessarily. That's pretty basic long-haul riding. Not day in, day out, but every once in a while with some planning and preparation.

In the next breath I think about how if I'm going to put that sort of distance on the bike, why not actually end up somewhere and smell the roses as part of the ride? 1,000 miles and 18 hours is a lot of riding just to end up finally back home. Besides which, there's an enclave of IronButt riders who seem to think the only motorcycle capable of doing these sorts of distances is a BMW. We're out to demonstrate that they're full of beans.

Michael Psycle's observations make complete sense to me too. Back in the 1970's I owned a 4 cyl. 750 cc Honda. No fairing, etc. A loooooooong ride on that bike was 300 miles up to the Canadian border and Vancouver BC. With the SG here I've set out on the highway to "do a short ride for dinner" and have ended up riding all night, 500 miles, 650 miles -- and often. 1,000 miles down the highway, music, fairing, touring set-up, cruise control, just sort of sounds like a "coming of age" rite of passage. Not everyday, but not an arduous stretch either.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
IHow many threads you gonna start on this?
just do it. You can do this ride and stop for three meals and a nap if you want.
most guys screw up on the log. Make sure you have all the info on your receipts. Time /date/ location. If it dosent have it all on there have the clerk write it on the back and sign it with there name and phone number. Or if in doubt,buy a bottle of water and use that with the fuel receipt. Keep in mind a lot of stations have there time/date wrong on their receipts. Double triple check. It is easy to overlook after a few stops. Keep all recipes and your log in something waterproof. And number the back of the receipt to match the stop number on the log. This makes it easier to put the log in order when your done. A lot of guys think your witness has to be there when you start and end the ride. Not true ...they can witness the mileage the night before. And after you get done. If they want.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
They like FJRs, ST1300s and all that stuff too. Cudos to you for planning to show the metric folks your license plate! :clap:

IIRC stroker Jim is a long distance rider. My hat's off to those guys and gals. Think I'd need an Aleve IV hooked on my sissy bar before hangin' with those folks.

Have fun getting your IB patch!

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Look it up there are more SS 1000's on harleys than any other brand.
yes the stereo type is there. Most them guys see Harley riders as wanna be IBA or LD riders.
They see
Dress like pirates, run bar to bar, sunburned, wife beater wearing, clueless about what it takes to ride LD. Wanna be's that claim they have done this and that. And they are usually right.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How many threads you gonna start on this? . . . they can witness the mileage the night before. And after you get done. If they want.!
Helpful tips here. I have an organizer to keep the log straight, iPod camera to document things visually -- for facebook if nothing else.

I keep starting threads because I want to get a discussion going. Seems like getting discussions going is the sin qua non of online forums.

Posting here and there about tours I'm planning, setting up for tours I'm planning. Seems like a lot of the discussion in these forums gravitates toward custom paint, wheels, and whether to black out the chrome or wrap the pipes.

I like the bikes, but I bought it to RIDE, not to decorate. :coffee:

This is the first thread on this topic that seems to be getting any traction. The other thread in this forum -- NY to CA and return is getting discussion. The LA to Seattle thread is getting replies.

That's my objective, to discuss riding . . . not customizing.

Right now the thing keeping me from the ride is about 3" of snow on the highway with more predicted. I did 3,000 in ten days last summer, camping out. That was a sort of "settle in" period. Since then I've been setting up . . . dialing in equipment, looking at routes, waiting for a weather window. We're waiting for the snow to clear out of the passes, waiting for the temperature in Winnemucca NV to get above freezing.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dress like pirates, run bar to bar, sunburned, wife beater wearing, clueless about what it takes to ride LD. Wanna be's that claim they have done this and that.
Yeah, well there's that too . . . but I've had a close look at the BMW's. No place to put your feet, bent over like a monkey humpin' a football, no radio, no backrest, no highway-pegs. no real cruise control that I can see . . .

That's all well and good if you're racing down the highway from cafe to cafe -- in Europe. It's the difference between riding down the highway on a go-cart and riding in a Cadillac.

-------------------

Probably mid-march, when the temps aren't dropping below freezing east of the Cascades.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
But what kind of pipes are you running???

I had to do it.

Good luck with the ride, I also think it would be great to get more HD's in the iron butt brigade.

My RA keeps me from attempting it. I did 500 miles in about 8 hrs, 1300 in about 48, but ended up on Prednisone to get my hand functional again.

Part of the reason why I got ride of the Ultra, and went to a bit of a light, more agile bike in the RGC. Basicly a Street Glide with a fixed fairing.

Make us proud!

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Once again...THERE ARE MORE SS 1000's on Harley Davidsons than any other brand.
But there isn't many past the entry level point of a SS1000.
The SS1000 is designed to weed out the wanna be's.
Once you complete it. Then you can do the extreme rides. Or just order your shirt. And be done.
As a Harley rider it takes a few times of kicking some azz, in and around the rally crowd to be taken serious.
that is why it upsets me to see Harley guys play right into there stereotype
makes it all that much harder for a guy that is serious

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Once again...THERE ARE MORE SS 1000's on Harley Davidsons than any other brand.
But there isn't many past the entry level point of a SS1000.
The SS1000 is designed to weed out the wanna be's.
Once you complete it. Then you can do the extreme rides. Or just order your shirt. And be done.
As a Harley rider it takes a few times of kicking some azz, in and around the rally crowd to be taken serious.
that is why it upsets me to see Harley guys play right into there stereotype
makes it all that much harder for a guy that is serious
How do you think folks should ride?

As far as I'm concerned, what another rider does, good or bad, doesn't really reflect on me.

I don't care if a rider rides 25,000 a year, or 1000 or 100 to bike nights.

I wish this man luck, but it doesn't remotely upset me if someone rides 100 miles a year in shorts and flip flops.

I might think they're a dumbass, but it's has nothing to do with me, or you.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
but ended up on Prednisone to get my hand functional again.
My wrist gets all seized up and my fingers go numb -- Cruise control at every opportunity. If I can't use the Cruise, then I'm working the throttle which keeps the hand from seizing up.

Mostly I want the certification so I can post on the forums. I'm interested in riding more than any sort of "extreme distance" goal setting. But then I have a full tour set-up HARLEY HAWG . . . which is unrivaled for long-haul.

Probably should be on the Iron Butt pages a corner for the Hawg Wranglers -- exclude the rice-burners and the Euro-trash . . . :redrolf:

(We're jerkin' chains here . . . I own what I want to ride. What others in their mis-informed preferences are able to ride, afford, or mistakenly think are superior are of little concern to me.)

:coffee:

Pipes are SE 2 into 1 "Nightstick" slip-on, Stage 1, K&N, no cats . . . 96 in. (cool running, easy going) TC. :D

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That leaves you a full 6 hours.
No man! I gain an hour when we switch over to daylight savings, and another hour when I ride into the next time zone!

:redrolf:

I got the 25% part right!

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
try this site for a taste.
FWIW if you post like you do over here,they will eat you up on some of the serious LD forums.

http://www.ldriders.com/index.html

here is another really good Forum for beginners.
they have everything,every type of touring rider you can mention. sorta laid back,but lurk and search a little and ease into your post. they are great guys/gals and will answer any thing your looking for.but you can search about anything also. but the stereotype is there so be prepared.:)
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/ma...nav=start&lgnJR=1&prettyurl=/mctourer?lgnJR=1

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
My wrist gets all seized up and my fingers go numb -- Cruise control at every opportunity. If I can't use the Cruise, then I'm working the throttle which keeps the hand from seizing up.

Mostly I want the certification so I can post on the forums. I'm interested in riding more than any sort of "extreme distance" goal setting. But then I have a full tour set-up HARLEY HAWG . . . which is unrivaled for long-haul.

Probably should be on the Iron Butt pages a corner for the Hawg Wranglers -- exclude the rice-burners and the Euro-trash . . . :redrolf:

(We're jerkin' chains here . . . I own what I want to ride. What others in their mis-informed preferences are able to ride, afford, or mistakenly think are superior are of little concern to me.)

:coffee:

Pipes are SE 2 into 1 "Nightstick" slip-on, Stage 1, K&N, no cats . . . 96 in. (cool running, easy going) TC. :D
Gotcha. I may eventually try to do a ride like this. On a new med to get my RA under control, and it seems to be working so far.

Still young at 44, turning 45 this year, so I'm hopeful that my long distance riding days are just getting started. Up until a year ago, it was nothing to ride all day, so we'll see.

And it would certainly be something else to add to my personal little achievements.

Again, best of luck with it, but it seems like you won't need it. A good plan is better than good luck alone!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts