V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hope you have better luck with it than I did. Used a RAM Mount and it was still too much vibration (04 Heritage, basically stock) that the iPod would lock up after about 30 minutes. Now I just keep it i my jacket pocket instead of being mounted.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I kept mine in my pocket and it froze, literaly. Never did figure that one out... must have been the wind and the 100+ mph speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Where do you buy the wire to plug into the stereo from the I pod and whats it called ?

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
reg26 said:
Where do you buy the wire to plug into the stereo from the I pod and whats it called ?
Radio Shack. It's a 3.5mm stereo to stereo adapter. Male pins on both ends. Each pin will have 2 black rings around them.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
reg26 said:
First I started off with the 6ft cable (3.5mm plugs Belkin from CC) and spliced it to one foot, very difficult because of the three small wires in the cable but it worked, remember you need three wires for stereo that's why you have two colored rings on the male plugs.

But then I found a small retractable cable at Circuit City, Ipod car accessory kit made by Smoke, see picture below.

Sorry about the bad picture quality.

I used the clamp off this handlebar kit to mount the case on my handlebars.

http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebO...y?catalogCatID=1&wosid=8rK3G58tEosVOQiQslU2oM

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Not hijacking the thread, just another quick question to IPod users... How do you adjust the volume when you're riding? I've found that gloves just don't work well on the wheel, and I haven't seen any in-line volume control like my hubby has for his Sony CD player.???????????????

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
marthared said:
Not hijacking the thread, just another quick question to IPod users... How do you adjust the volume when you're riding? I've found that gloves just don't work well on the wheel, and I haven't seen any in-line volume control like my hubby has for his Sony CD player.???????????????
I preset the wheel to at least 80% volume and use the volume control on the handle bar.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
I have a 60g that I used this summer on my Roadglide. I too suffered from some lockups on the first few rides which I associated with some large abrupt bumps.

The cure
I wrapped the IPOD in bubble wrap and stuck it in the left hand fairing pocket and routed the cable up to the stereo. I adjusted the volume to 75-80% and set it on shuffle. Seemed to work pretty well with only 1 or 2 lockups in 5000 miles. I usually charged it at night, but a couple of times I ran the powewr adapter from the lighter socket.

Future Improvements
I am going to trim up some foam padding so I can slip the IPOD in and out of the pocket easily. I would also like to run a power wire into the pocket so I don't have to many telltale wires showing.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
wydeglyde said:
I have a 60g that I used this summer on my Roadglide. I too suffered from some lockups on the first few rides which I associated with some large abrupt bumps.

The cure
I wrapped the IPOD in bubble wrap and stuck it in the left hand fairing pocket and routed the cable up to the stereo. I adjusted the volume to 75-80% and set it on shuffle. Seemed to work pretty well with only 1 or 2 lockups in 5000 miles. I usually charged it at night, but a couple of times I ran the powewr adapter from the lighter socket.

Future Improvements
I am going to trim up some foam padding so I can slip the IPOD in and out of the pocket easily. I would also like to run a power wire into the pocket so I don't have to many telltale wires showing.
Well that just gave me an idea. I'm going to cut out a pocket in some closed cell foam that will fit tight in the windscreen bag. Can't hurt to try

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I've had this 30GB Creative Zen MP3 player now for two years. It goes everywhere I go on the bike. It's never locked up once. It's never even needed a new battery. The battery lasts 14hrs and you can get a replacement or extra battery for 29.95. I don't even think I remember it ever skipping more than a few times. It rides in the middle pouch on the inner fairing without any kind of cushioning, with the aux cord routed behind the outer fairing, up through the switchcap and into the aux port. It's selling for 191.00 right now at Comp U Plus. I think I paid 230.00 for it a couple years ago at Circuit City. Not sure on the hours of operation, but I could safely say it's been riding along for about 25k miles.

MacIntosh products IMO are overpriced proprietary "fru-fru" garbage. Some people have good luck with them, others don't. Need a battery replacement on a standard Ipod? Ya gotta send it back to Apple. And for 100.00 bucks you'll get it. What a joke.

·
In the wind and Loving it
363 Posts
Ipod owner

:wavey: I just replaced my Ipod battery, $20.00 with shipping. I have never had a problem with mine.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
My Nano is the best! I carry it in the inside pocket of my jacket, and use shuffle.

Thorns

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mines a 4G Nano. I bought a leather cover with a clip. I clip it to the windshield leather pouches. I connect it to my stereo with a $4.95 12" Radio Shack cable, great sound for days! When I leave my bike, I just remove it and store it away in my pocket.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
I ride with a 10GB Ipod and the wife rides with a 4GB Ipod Mini. We both ride with them in our jacket pockets and use Sony earbuds for better performance.

I'd like to get the self amped speakers one day and mount on the handlebars but for now, this is a much more affordable solution and it works great ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
well crap! I've got a Dell 15GB that locks up all the time, so I got an Ipod (not a Nano) and now you guys tell me that they lock up too. Man, I can't win.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts