V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my dilemma. Is there anything out there that takes the Ipod with ear plugs that works well to knock out the windnoise that's not going to keep me totally out of what's happening around me?

What are you guys/gals using?
Tim

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I second the Etymotic ER6's. I have a set and they work great. Cancel out 35db. I can hear my tunes very clearly, hardly any wind noise and still hear other things around me like other cars, my pipes etc going 70mph down the highway. Very good set of head phones. Just don't crank your tunes too loud otherwise that will cancel out outside noises etc...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally decided.

Thanks for the help. I've picked up a pair of the Etymotic ER6i in ear/canal phones and am impressed. I did a bunch of researcy after your recommendations and the two that seemed to be right were the Shure 2 or the Etymotic. I could find the Shure's all over for about $100.00 but ER6i's had to be sent for.

They really take out the background noise! The best fit as far as I was concerned was with the "foamie" ear plugs. The rubber flanged plugs just didn't cut out as much noise.

I ride with a 1/2 helmet, windshield and a Nano in my coat pocket.

That's the ticket for clean music on the road.

BTW-Another benefit is that my bride can talk and I really, I mean really, can't hear her. ?prty: No need to even use that selective attention.
Tim

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I'm with WhiteCloud on the Etymotic ER6i

(Rineharts/No windshield/1/2 Helmet/Nano)

Apple earbuds = 50 mph
Sony = 55 mph
Etymotic ER6i = 100+mph

I spoke with the rep at Etymotic. He said the bass response is better with the 6i on an iPod than with any other earphone they offer. The overall sound accuracy is not quite as good, but then we are talking about using them while riding a Harley... not as much of an issue. He also said that the battery usage was substantially better with the 6i which means more riding hours. These made my decision to try them.

I can still hear my engine well enough to know when to shift, but the wind noise is gone and I can't believe the music quality at 90 mph. Volume setting isn't very high either... maybe half volume as opposed to full before.

I used the tiered rubber inserts with great success... might try the squishable foam.

I could not hear my wife either... these things are a win/win situation. They do limit conversations at stop signs with your riding bud, however.

·
Liberal Slayer
212 Posts

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
The $30 Sony earbuds work perfect for me. The come with 3 different size tips to custom fit your ears, block out all wind noise and I can still hear traffic around me over the music. Of course, so long as I don't turn it up too loudly :cheers:

·
Registered
340 Posts
8-Ball said:
I'm with WhiteCloud on the Etymotic ER6i

(Rineharts/No windshield/1/2 Helmet/Nano)

Apple earbuds = 50 mph
Sony = 55 mph
Etymotic ER6i = 100+mph

I spoke with the rep at Etymotic. He said the bass response is better with the 6i on an iPod than with any other earphone they offer. The overall sound accuracy is not quite as good, but then we are talking about using them while riding a Harley... not as much of an issue. He also said that the battery usage was substantially better with the 6i which means more riding hours. These made my decision to try them.

I can still hear my engine well enough to know when to shift, but the wind noise is gone and I can't believe the music quality at 90 mph. Volume setting isn't very high either... maybe half volume as opposed to full before.

I used the tiered rubber inserts with great success... might try the squishable foam.

I could not hear my wife either... these things are a win/win situation. They do limit conversations at stop signs with your riding bud, however.
I knew you'd be here.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
whitecloud said:
Ok, here's my dilemma. Is there anything out there that takes the Ipod with ear plugs that works well to knock out the windnoise that's not going to keep me totally out of what's happening around me?

What are you guys/gals using?
Tim
Your answer is "no". I have been sporting a pair of E3C Shure for about 15 months. Nice earphones but to get the full range out of them they seal the ear canal and that means you have tunes bouncing around in there like a drum and not road sounds. Excellent product though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
bebrewer said:
The $30 Sony earbuds work perfect for me. The come with 3 different size tips to custom fit your ears, block out all wind noise and I can still hear traffic around me over the music. Of course, so long as I don't turn it up too loudly :cheers:

Same here, I love these things on a long ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts