V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Posting of IP's, either on the board or in the profile, appears to have had some effect on other boards, but there is no substitute for cyber-behaviour that resembles real life, where you have to back up your words. Not a cure, but a step in the right direction.

If it is a vote, my vote is YES.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
IP Address

IP address will list the company that the individual works for if posting during business hours from his/her work computer terminal. This is my only concern as i've posted from work prior on other fly fishing boards and noticed my company listed. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Just saw a IP addressed posted on another Harley board after a member engaged in a vile outburst of profanity. The list owner not only listed the member's IP address but the member's company Internet use policy that prohibited such postings. Thus, the member could be subject to discipline or discharge for inappropriate use of company equipment during the day. Did the list owner notify the member's company? No, of course not. Just the mere threat should bring the member back in line. Now, to the question of posting IP addresses, some members use their company equipment to access this and other sites during the day. Should they, no, but they do. Posting IP addresses will discourage people from posting during the work day.

I would suggest a quicker application of the "blocking" policy. Offensive/vulgar/threatening postings should NOT be permitted. A more stringent policy regarding offensive, vulgar, threatening messages should be applied. The messages should be deleted and the member posting them should be given ONE warning. Some boards don't even give a warning, the member is just deleted. I suggested a warning, then POOF--gone!!!

Members should be able to come here to have a good time and enjoy themselves. Without excessive (we are bikers <G>) vulgarity, threats, etc.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The listing of IP's does NOT "display" company names. It simply lists the numerical IP adress.
Anyone concerned with using work computers to post on the board and the display of IP's is a day late and a dollar short. Their network administrator already knows exactly what each user does on their computer.
If someones behaviour warrants tracing of IP's, it can be done without them being displayed.
Those that participate in good faith have nothing additional to worry about. IMHO

Censorship and the ruffled feathers syndrome defeats the purpose of an open board. With the exception of personal attacks and gross repeated vulgarity, members should be freely allowed to express their view even if it is unpopular.

It is hard to imagine a group of riders being interested in a "sewing circle" type of board for very long.
I much prefer to call things as I see them or perceive them, no one has to follow the same line of thought. There already is far too much political correctness in everyday life, to attempt to enforce it on a board intended for riders.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
HIPPO said:
If someones behaviour warrants tracing of IP's, it can be done without them being displayed.
Those that participate in good faith have nothing additional to worry about. IMHO

Censorship and the ruffled feathers syndrome defeats the purpose of an open board. With the exception of personal attacks and gross repeated vulgarity, members should be freely allowed to express their view even if it is unpopular.

Well, Hippo, we have more common ground that what first might appear. I agree that a member's IP address can be traced without displaying it. This, the question becomes, why display it? Some companies avoid the issue of personal use of company computers until the personal use becomes "public". Having the company IP address out there for the world to see compels the company to address the personal use of the company computer. Not a good thing for members posting from work.

I absolutely agree that "with the exception of personal attacks and gross repeated vulgarity, members should be freely allowed to express their view even if it is unpopular." We have several members who also post on other boards/forums. Some of these boards/forums permit more than others. However, what is common to all the good ones is that excessive stuff cannot be tolerated.

I also absolutely agree with the blocking of the member whose remarks started this recent discussion. He should have taken your counsel to apologize to the member he so unfairly and grossly insulted. Good riddance to a bad piece of work. I'm glad he's gone. That being said, I renew my concern about posting IP addresses.

All that being said, I'm buying the next round for whoever is drinking.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
This, the question becomes, why display it?

In my view, it is the difference between freedom with personal responsability and a dictatorship by the few.
No one wants to inconvenience the administrators when there is a suspicion that games are being played, and simply comparing IP's between posts puts an end to it. It does make for a much more peaceful environment, trust me on this, many other boards had to learn the hard way as you may well know.

I suppose we have to agree to disagree on the point that listed IP's will make a difference to those that post from work. Take it from someone that did a little corporate security work in the past, if they want you they already have you.

To me this is more of a rhetorical discussion, as it really doesn't matter to me what way it goes from a practical point of view. It's more of a basic principle thing.

We will see what the majority decides and if the administrator will get along with the vote. Fine with me either way.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
He should have taken your counsel to apologize to the member he so unfairly and grossly insulted.

You got the wrong guy. I never posted or talked to the person in question in any way, form or shape. Here or anywhere.

Counseling is not the Hippo's way. LOL

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Greetings,

Posting of the numerical IP address does not show the Company from which it comes unless a trace is put specifically on that number.

An IP address, like the Biker is loud and proud of who he is.

Personally I don't care if it shows up in the post or if is an option that can be looked up. Folks should have the right to know who they are talking to if that option exists.

It is no secret that Festus has stalked some of my friends who use this board from one board to another. (Five I could name.) To be honest I have never until about three weeks back said a word to the jerk. Now, once he sent a private email to a member here talking **** about me, buddy, it was on.

For almost two years this person has been a POS on any board he accessed. If you ever saw his profile here he was the "Grand hater of The FFB." He was here to cause trouble and for no other reason. It was not until he was fronted off by his IP and that seeing that IP also proved him to be here as FISH that the game finally ended.

Being concerned about work addresses is in my estimation not valid. If you are doing something that ya should not do at work that is really between your boss and you.

I am JimmyK, 6'4" redhead who lives in Spring Texas and rides a Pearl Bronze RoadKing Classic. I am proud of who I am. I like and trust folks who are proud of who they are as well.

To me, other than the need to hide, there is no reason why the address should be feared. If a person wants to come into The Clubhouse BUT does not want anyone to know who he is, you can bet yer ass he won't get into any of the Clubhouses I have been in.

My vote is Hell yea, let it show.

·
Registered
977 Posts
While I have differed with JimmyK on a few subjects in the past, I am in complete agreement with him on this subject.

A lot of the crap on boards would come to a screeching halt if IP addresses were displayed on every board.

DaveT

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
OK, here goes. I'm at work now and posting on my other fly fishing BB along with this BB. My proxy address appears with my company name on the FF BB.

Is that the same as an IP address for those computer nurds out there or is the proxy completely different???? I work for a forture 500 company and we "ARE" allowed to surf the web during company time. My only concern is once people find out i work for this company then the requests are endless.

·
Registered
599 Posts
New members .02 worth

I've only recently registered, but have visited this forum regularly since I found it.. I have come to this forum most often since then because of the knowledge of the captains as well as most of the other regular members. The lack of name calling, flaming, profanity and other nonsense is what brings me back almost daily.
I am not in favor of censorship, but with any rule there are exceptions. As in -Shoot Osama on sight-, no questions. The moderators seem to have a fine hand in controlling moderating this board, and I trust their judgement to call it as they see it. If this is a vote, then I am in favor of posting IP addresses or blocking members if that is what is necessary to keep the board following the course it has been on for the last two months.
Thanks for listening, Printer

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hiya Dave.

Yea we have some things we disagree on and due to the our Blood Bought rights in this country, that is cool and not a problem. While we disagree, we also know each other. We have ridden together and there are no secrets. That in my estimation is the way it should be.

Fly I hear what you are saying. I too am at work now. I too work for a F-500 Company. I too know about the fact that requests ( favors ) could be made if folks knew I worked for an Airline. The easiest way to deal with that however is like this.

"Hell No! I ain't getting you a ticket." ( There all settled now Ha ha! )

While I am far from a nerd, I do know that there are options as to how an IP can be displayed. (1) Numerical Address Only (2) Numerical with server.

There is also an option where it does not show but registered members can click the link where IP is logged.

Tracing an IP is a different subject and much more detailed. I do not suggest that a trace is shown just the numbers.

Right now, we are placing a burden on David as the administrator. He has provided a great site for us and has asked nothing in return. In the event of a problem, which always comes up, he is placed with the burden of looking up an IP.

The boards that do show IP's tend to keep the trouble out before it becomes a problem.

On another note and as an example. We know that Fish is Festus. We know that he lives in Ohio. The other day someone seeking technical advice on oil coolers posted his question. Fish came in and stated that he lived in one of the Hottest places in the country and it was not needed. He lives in Ohio and it ain't that hot. Tech questions are important to the person asking and they should be answered honestly. Now I was able to know that Fish lied about where he lived but no one else here did at the time. I am not saying that his advice was wrong. I live in Houston and have ridden in 108 degrees with no oil cooler. BUT what if the advice was BS? What if an oil cooler in hot regions WAS a good idea? Stating that he lived in one of the hottest, and then saying not needed could have been misleading and down the road costly to the person asking who placed his faith in a liars response.

I recognize that not everyone who would perfer not to have his IP posted is a bad person and up to no good. I respect a mans right to privacy. The fact is there are folks out there that hate bikers. As surely as one of the keys to riding safely is being aware of your surroundings, one of the safest ways to run a web site such as this is to let folks make the choice to come in aware of the fact that this is not a place to play games. This is not a place where you can hide who you are and subject folks to sick and twisted games.

My vote remains the same. I vote IP's be shown or are redily accessible. If folks need to hide who they are the Net is huge and offers many a place for it. On the other hand some folks, when making plans to hook up and ride, like to know who they are speaking to.

Nobody comes into your home that you don't know. Nobody should demand entrance to a party but insist that non of the other guests know anything about him.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I would be happy to help you out bro. Freezing is a horrible way to die. I'll call a friend in your neighborhood and have him go over and put you out of your misery. Hell, "they shoot horses, don't they?"

Bla HahahahahahWorkOnKid13AndYaWon'tFreeze HA!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree with JimmyK and all others concerning showing the IP addresses. I also believe cencorship is our enemy and should not be condoned, unless it is outright vulgarity or open flames of board members. As said earlier, we all have our opinions and some may run contrary to others beliefs, but we all must respect each other enough and also that some opinions differ from ours.

And I can honestly say Hasta LaVista Festus.:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Flycasterjoe, in answer to your question on what would show

This is it

Now, before you get all excited, some of the numbers were transposed.
Good people have no need to fear a thing, the ones that want to play games can be found anyway by someone moderately proficient with a computer. Displaying IP's is simply a way to level the playing field.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Nothing to fear in showing IP's

I agree with those wanting IP's to be shown. It's not a big deal to anyone wanting to use this site for what it was intended for. I don't have a problem with differences in opinions and debates, which does make a forum interesting. But the people that try to unjustly destroy a person's credibility or reputation just for his twisted enjoyment, has no place here. Showing the IP just helps others' identify who he is,,,,,,not fool proof, but another method for identifying these people and making it harder for these trouble makers to remain anonymous.

Have a happy new year!
FifthGear:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts