V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not one to give stock tips. In fact, if you want to make money, ask me what stocks I'm buying then sell those short. It is almost a given fact that if I buy a stock it will go down the next day. However, I do have some advice on the investment in your harley for the newbies (like me) in the forum.

A few days ago I bought the service manual for my bike. Even though I may not do all of the procedures in the manual, it helps to understand them. When you have work done on your bike, with the manual, you will know what was done and how it should have been done. You can check to make sure it was done and more importantly done properly. Whether you wrench or not, this is a valuable source of information. Don't be left in the dark. Understand how maintenance and repairs are done on your bike -- buy the manual.

I've already learned that the seat strap on my Fatboy was improperly installed by the factory. When I install the siren this weekend, I'm going to fix it. The owners manual does not go far enough in explaining what should be done for your ride. HD should provide the service manual as standard equipment with your bike.

Unlike my stock picks, this is a good investment. It is a little pricy at $56, but worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good advice VAdiver !

You should also invest in the parts manual this will not only show you what part number for the parts you need "sometimes the counter person won't have a clue", but help you better understand what sequence to assemble, or show you where the part goes.

One of our members Harley Hog has one on his web site for FLT's check that out you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't even have my bike yet and I already have the
service manual!

Actually I was going stir crazy waiting for the damn bike
I needed something to hold me over. :)

44 more days to go!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Siren? Is your bike red by any chance?
I always like the sign in the shop that says of the Labor rate
$50 per hour of service
$75 per hour if you watch
$125 per hour if you offer advice

{Backyard mechanics usually have more than 1 bike}

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope not red, the siren (which is another part that should be standard) is an add on for the security system. The security system is useless without it - no noise, just flashing blinkers.

I was in a shop that had a sign similar but the $125 rate was for people who attempted to fix it themselves before brining it in.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
vadiver said:
Nope not red, the siren (which is another part that should be standard) is an add on for the security system. The security system is useless without it - no noise, just flashing blinkers.
I only have the flashing lights and do not want a siren. I have a pager that goes off so the assholee doesn't see me aiming at him. No WARRNING. Stop or I'll shoot AGAIN. :D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
yellowFatboy200 said:

..............Stop or I'll shoot AGAIN. :D
:D ..how gracious you are:D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have been shooting at things since my Dad gave me my first 22 rifle when I was 5. It was a test gun, my uncle used to bring home lots of them from work (Rem Arms). So if I shoot 1 time. You can prob bet they won't here my first warning (after the fact). That's as kind as I get wit a fuken thief. But I would be gentle when I dismantled the little fuker fer his acid bath. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts